12v portable power supply?

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
blurblock

12v portable power supply?

Post by blurblock »

Hi,

Wanting to get the CG5-Goto mount, however, noticed it needs a 12v DC power supply to work. May I know anyone here knows where to get a 12v DC Power supply?

Thanks in Advance.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Buy a 12V (3 to 7AH) gel battery from one of the electronics store on the 3rd floor of Sim Lim Tower. Cost about $20-30. U will need to buy a charger too (about $20). These batteries give a more stable and reliable power supply than AC-DC adaptors u can commonly find in DIY stores. Juz be sure to ensure the correct polarity for ur scope and don't ever short-circuit the batter terminals. There are lots of resources on Gel batteries on the web if u do a search.

cheers
cc
Last edited by acc on Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tommyong

Post by tommyong »

hi Blurblock,

I faced the same problem too when I got my CG5-goto mount as they provide only the car 12VDC cable.

If you're using at home, you can easily get a transformer adaptor for 220VAC to 12VDC for about less than $10.

If you want a portable one, most likely you have to build it yourself as acc has mentioned. I build my own power supply. 02 x super slim 7.2Ah ($30) to provide 14.4Ah of 12VDC power in parallel circuit. It can last a at least 4 nights of full observing without recharging. You can buy those stuff at Sim Lim Tower. You'll also need wires, matching socket to the mount power input ($3), a charger ($20+), probably a red LED switch ($1.50), a handle, a good heavyduty waterproof, ABS plastic box ($35).

All and all, it costs about slightly more than $100 for the whole thing, and after bargaining with the shop keepers!

When building the box, do remember to drill small ventilation holes on both sides to enable air to flow. Reason being that small amount of chemical vapour is emitted during charging and in operation. My final product is a sturdy power pack that weighs about 4-5kg.

Have fun!

ToMmY
:oD
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
02 x super slim 7.2Ah ($30) to provide 14.4Ah of 12VDC power in parallel circuit.
I initially also intend to use the SLA battery to power my motor drive, Since it is a lot cheaper. But give up the idea at moment due to the charging problems. All the charger I found are those "dummy" charger, they will not auto cut-off when the battery is fully charge. And I know that SLA may pose some danger when overcharge and you didn't notice it.

Also, please note that you should be careful when connecting battery in Parallel. Make sure both battery have the same voltage rating(best if same manufacturer) and are charge to around same voltage level, or else the current of the higher voltage battery will flow through the lower voltage battery and probelms may occurs.

Anyway, still finding information or ways on how to use this battery safely. Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
kochu
Favourite scope: Sharpstar-107PH Triplet.

Power Pack

Post by kochu »

Hi Guys,

Car Jump starter packis ideal as a power pack. It comes in a nice handy container, and has a Cig lighter socket, flash light, volt meter and comes with charger from AC mains. The capacity is 17.5 Ah@ 12.5 V. I bought mine from Autobacs, previously in Paya Lebar, now somewhere in Bukit Batok, for S$ 80.

Kochu