Orion 80mm ED

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Orion 80mm ED

Post by acc »

Another favourable review for Orion's 80mm ED APO. Looks like this scope could really be a winner in the price-performance area.

Check out
http://www.cloudynights.com/reviews4/orion80-2.htm

Unfortunate for us that Orion does not do overseas orders. :evil:
gwenyi

Post by gwenyi »

bet it's a good grab and go scope for quick ob sessions =p. however, the owner might wake up the next morning suffering from aperture fever ^.^.
starfirez

Post by starfirez »

i wanted to get that scope.. but orion only ships to n.america and canada, very troublesome. and i heard that china scopes can be quite inconsistent, quite scared that the 2nd batch of telescope wont be up to the standard of the first one.. maybe i should just play save and get remus's 2nd hand fc 76?
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

Will i'll say the FC76 will be a good buy IF you're looking for a scope that has the consistency and willing to shell out some extra cash.
If you are abit tight on your budget, get the Orion80ED! BUT wait till the 2nd batch got their reviews then. I'll say the 80ED may prove to be a good buy.

Charlie
gwenyi

Post by gwenyi »

yeah ... i agree with wat charlie has said. wait for the reviews of the 2nd batch before deciding whether you should invest ur $ in the scope.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

starfirez wrote:i wanted to get that scope.. but orion only ships to n.america and canada, very troublesome. and i heard that china scopes can be quite inconsistent, quite scared that the 2nd batch of telescope wont be up to the standard of the first one.. maybe i should just play save and get remus's 2nd hand fc 76?
Orion does not ship overseas but O'Neil (dealer in Canada) does.
My experience with him is that he charges the same price as listed by Orion but shipping charges and relevant taxes will apply. As to confirmation and detailsl, ite best you email him your request but with the ED80 back ordered, even if he is willing, the scope will not come!
You can contact him here..

http://www.oneilphoto.on.ca/orion.htm
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Orion does not ship overseas but O'Neil (dealer in Canada) does.
My experience with him is that he charges the same price as listed by Orion but shipping charges and relevant taxes will apply. As to confirmation and detailsl, ite best you email him your request but with the ED80 back ordered, even if he is willing, the scope will not come!
You can contact him here..
Hi,

Do take note that though you will be able to get around Orion's policy in the end, the price of the scope will be more expensive in the end even if you get from O'Neil. Here's why :

1. Unless O'Neil keeps them in stock (I doubt so, because it conflicts directly with some of his other better selling brands) There will be an additional import fee charged for anything larger and heavier than a pair of binoculars if he has to order it specially for you. This can be between S$70 to S$100+ depending on the weight and size. As you know, the Orion 80ED is not very light.

2. Though Orion prices are in US$, O'Neil will only charge you in Canadian Dollars in the end. So as a guide, to find out your total cost of getting an Orion item from O'neil, first multiply everything given in US$ by 1.6 to get the figures in CDN$. Then multiply this by 1.3 to convert to S$. You will note that even *before* you add shipping from Canada and *before* you add the extra import fee (US-Canada), the Orion 80ED will already cost you close to S$900. Try calculating and see.

3. And now, it's quite expensive to ship anything in from Canada yourself because the Canadian Postal Service just scrapped their standard insured air parcel and replaced that by "international expresspost" which costs about the same as UPS ! To prove that this was happening, I recently asked O'Neil about the cost of shipping one of those reduced price Orion 2" UltraBlock to me. He said CDN$35. That means S$45 to ship a filter that hardly weighs anything. Previously, it use to cost only ard S$20. Fortunately, I have business dealings in Canada, and shipping is not much of an issue for me due to dealer account discounts :lol:

I'm not trying to trash out the 80mm ED of course, but I hope these points above help to clarify things a little and make the situation more obvious for us.
starfirez

Post by starfirez »

waaa chimology.. actually my dad's bro live in san fransico, so he can help buy then ship it here, but my dad say shipping my fedex will cost like S$200 (no wonder they can afford so many commercials..) then i was thinking of buying the mount and tripod is singapore.. ahh!!! so troublesome :(
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

starfirez wrote:waaa chimology.. actually my dad's bro live in san fransico, so he can help buy then ship it here, but my dad say shipping my fedex will cost like S$200 (no wonder they can afford so many commercials..) then i was thinking of buying the mount and tripod is singapore.. ahh!!! so troublesome :(
you dun have to use fedex. Just tell your dad to use normal airmail....i think it cost at most US$70 for that kind of weight.

By the way, tell your dad to mass order for us la.....then all save shipping together...hehehe
IceAngel
Favourite scope: Sky 90

Post by IceAngel »

my uncle aka dad's brother live in New Jersy for a long time liao.. but i dun dare to open my mouth to ask him buy a telescope there and ship it to me.. :oops: :oops:
*~Stars AND Clear Sky always~*
Leslie
*Owner of Antares 93mm Achromat Refractor* :)
-10.11.03-
*Owner of Takahashi SKY 90 Fluorite Doublet Apochromat Refractor* :D
-25.03.06-