Synscan on Vixen GP (original)

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
qinjuehang2

Synscan on Vixen GP (original)

Post by qinjuehang2 »

Hi everyone, I have a original Vixen GP, and I have read that the Orion synscan upgrade kit might be compatible...can anyone confirm this?

Any help is much appreciated!
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

Tim has one of those, and it works as advertised...
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

someone is selling the synscan together with the gp mount.

http://www.singastro.org/viewtopic.php?t=8700

~MooEy~
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Just to clarify,...My GP is fitted with the IOptron EQ Conversion kit and not the SynScan. I'm not sure if the SynScan fits the GP mounts shape. With the IOptron that I got, some shimming had to be done to the covers. But the main motor chassis fits.

Not sure about the GP2 but as MooEy has linked, I guess it fits.
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
swat_pup6433

Post by swat_pup6433 »

haah woa got free advertisment! yes. the synscan goto addon works on the GP2.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

I always though the Synscan and IOptron were the same thing, actually... :-D
MooEy

Post by MooEy »

Just incase your wondering. The following combination works. May not be 100% fit though. Also, do take a look at the Vixen Starbook S before you proceed.

IOptron - SP - Tommy
IOptron - GP - Tim
Synscan - SP - MooEy
Synscan - GP - Wong
Synscan - GP2 - Zong Ye

~MooEy~
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Well the SynScan looks similar to the IOptron handbox wise. Could be another OEM thing. IOptron's handbox were the GotoStar series, which never had Autoguiding but was solved with a patch release giving it the AutoGuide menu in the handbox. Then came the 8401 handbox which is with the EQ convert kit...including the Autoguide menu but advertised an Autoguide port via HBX connections....which never existed!
Some have managed to connect PHD thru USB to the Handbox port and worked, which also worked for me. Many have failed. Which is why the EQ kit is now advertised with the optional ST4 adapter..duh! They never resolved it and released the IEQ45 with the ST4 capability and new handbox version. Modification isn't possible as the port at the handox is configured for serial connection to USB (hence the driver needed).
I may get the ST4 adapter so I can have the ST4 capability for long term possibilities.

Good job MooEy on listing the possible combinations for the GP and GP2!
Anything else fits but with some minor or major renovations...lol! I like Orly's mod to his GP!! Shows what some thinking and elbow grease is possible!!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
qinjuehang2

Post by qinjuehang2 »

MooEy wrote:Just incase your wondering. The following combination works. May not be 100% fit though. Also, do take a look at the Vixen Starbook S before you proceed.

IOptron - SP - Tommy
IOptron - GP - Tim
Synscan - SP - MooEy
Synscan - GP - Wong
Synscan - GP2 - Zong Ye

~MooEy~
i thought the starbook is incompatible with the old gp...is it? also to clarify, i don't have motors installed. Does synscan cone with motors? I'm quite poor, so i think the original vixen is out of my reach.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

qinjuehang2, if GoTo is not absolutely necessary, maybe you can contact zephyrus who is selling his Orion SkyviewPro with dual axis motor drive and digital setting circles...