Effect of haze on telescope?

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
Gary

Effect of haze on telescope?

Post by Gary »

Now that the haze is back, is it a okay to leave telescopes deployed inside the house room with dust covers on? Or must dismantle OTA from mount and and put it back inside dry box?

What kind of particles in the haze are harmful to the telescopic optics?

I don't want my C8 to get free UHTC coating from Sumatra. Ultra Haze Thickening Coating. :)
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

I don't see any issue how the haze is going to damage the optics when it is covered. Haze are dust particles and are pretty big in size. However, if you want to prevent mold and fungus then it is probably better to leave it in dry cabinet if you think you are not going to use the telescope for a few months.
AstroDuck
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Agree with canopus. Especially if you're keeping your scope indoors, the PSI indoors is usually less than outdoors. Plus there's not much air circulation unless you're blowing a fan at your scope.
Finally, for a major investment like a C8, why not get a dry cabinet or at least a dry box to keep it in? I think a reasonably tightly closed cabinet can do as well if you put a moisture absorber in (commercial chemical pack or heater strip) (but you might want to check with a hygrometer), since there'll be limited air movement.
DON'T PANIC
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Not really sure about that!Do note that SCT has Aluminium coating and those gases from burned rubbish/trees may contain gases that Aluminium will react with;moreover coated optical surfaces may have the coating react with those gases--only the manufacturer will know what the coating is of.A good example is dread rust that attack the blocking filter in solar Ha filter--it turn from green to brown.Who knows what it is made of!I personally, through all these years, had come across filters with the coating turning opaque/semi opaque.God knows what had reacted with it.
Chris

Post by Chris »

If you leave ur scope covered, it should be fine.

Haze is made up mainly of SO2, O3, carbon monoxide and NO3. ozone is a stable compund, thus not reactive. too much CO kills u, but I am very sure it can't react with aluminum coatings.

As for no3 and so2, these gases are acidic, meaning that it can react with anything as long as you have got moisture/ condensation on your scope. If your optics are kept dry, the acidic gases are pretty harmless.
vivid

Post by vivid »

The composition of Haze is more like particulates < 10 microns. S02 and stuff, not really an issue, our local type of Indo haze is not made up of that. A HEPA-10 filter easily filters out the stuff, let alone the good stuff like HEPA-13 (say you buy a Blueair purifying unit)

PSI composes of readings from O3, SO2, CO and PM10, and the highest reading constitutes the PSI. O3, SO2 stuff, all along has been pretty standard in levels with or without the haze.

http://app.nea.gov.sg/psi/