Focuser keep slipping at zenith.

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
guangwei

Focuser keep slipping at zenith.

Post by guangwei »

Hello, was observing jupiter last night for only a while till the clouds came in and i realise when an object is high near zenith, my william optics scope's focuser will keep slipping down due to the weight of the diagonal and eyepiece. It's very troublesome. how do i adjust the tension or how do i do it? which screws should i adjust? I search online and some people also have the same problem.. anyone of you encounter? help !! Thanks !!
wucheeyiun

Post by wucheeyiun »

On the underside of scope focuser, there is a concentric circular screws call the Focuser Tension Adjustment Screw , the dark colour external thumb screw can be released, then use a allen key to tighten the inner screw for the focuser tension. Fine adlustment until it can carry the load.

If the load is too large, you need to focus until sharp, then lock focuser to prevent slipping. the focus lock silver thumb screw is just above the Focuser Tension Adjustment Screw.
For most cases, a 2" diagonal and 2" eyepiece can be easily carried after tightening the focuser tension adjustment. Unless you are deploying a DSLR, then you need to lock the focuser to prevent slipping.

Hope you get it...
Last edited by wucheeyiun on Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
guangwei

Post by guangwei »

Thanks you Mr wu ! It's alright now
wucheeyiun

Post by wucheeyiun »

Dear Quangwei...no probs ... glad to be a help :)
cloud_cover
Favourite scope: 94.5", f/24 Ritchey-Chretien Reflector

Post by cloud_cover »

Hahaha! I just solved the same issue with my Onyx!
DON'T PANIC