Obby's Tent

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
Canopus Lim

Obby's Tent

Post by Canopus Lim »

Front door:
http://img143.imageshack.us/i/p1050699.jpg/

Mini Dehumidifier:
http://img576.imageshack.us/i/p1050701z.jpg/

Side View:
http://img843.imageshack.us/i/p10507020.jpg/

It has been awhile since I have completed this mini project. It is a 'tent' for my telescope (aka Obby). Inside houses a mini dehumidifier (recommended by Chee Chien). I use transparent plastic as the material and asked a canvas maker to do it. It has a velcro door for Obby to be pushed in/out. Near to the dehumidifier there is a pouch with velcro opening. This allow easy access to the dehumidifier when I need to change the water; this idea was from my colleague who is a mechanical engineer.

The tent is hung from the wall and is foldable. This allows transporting the tent to other places in the house if necessary; or if I move house.. The corners that are hanging in the air are held up by strings attached to the false ceiling. At the bottom, I use tape to tape the access plastic (deliberately designed so) onto the floor.

Since the tent is large and there are quite a few gaps (the edges are sewn) and there is a large velcro door that extends from top to bottom, the amount of time before each change of water is approximately 1.5 to 2 weeks; the dehumid container is only about 300ml. To me it is acceptable considering the volume; I could further improve the sealing but I am too lazy to do that. The scope is 1.7m tall.

I am pretty happy with the results. Now I do not have to worry about my scope being exposed to humid air and dust; although I clean the mirror every year. With the recent bad weather, I am glad that Obby has a good home. :)

RH level inside the tent is approximately 60% (which is good enough)
AstroDuck
Bergkamp_
Favourite scope: Telescope that i can bring out

Post by Bergkamp_ »

nice =)
Wee Ern aRmeD wiF Telescope reAdY tO taKe ovEr thE skY .. wIF jUst mY naKed eYEs .
Gary

Post by Gary »

Very impressive. Great job! Embeding your last photo here:

http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

This is ingenious, a good way to keep bulky equipments from moisture. :)
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Yeah. It is way cheaper to build this than a customized dry cabinet or a huge dry cabinet. Furthermore, I have not seen a dry cabinet as large as the tent that was made.

Mini Dehumidifier: $100
Material cost: depends on size. I over estimated so ended up spending about $90 for 5x4m size; I actually wanted to build it myself but gave up. For the size I actually used should be about $50. I still left a lot of spare plastic.
Labour cost (for sewing and putting in the rings and velcro): $50.

So it cost about $200 with the correct amount of material.
AstroDuck
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Great DIY and forethought! Shows what really is possible if we look around and find alternatives!

Wonderful job! With a tent dry unit like this, lots can be stored. I'm sure you inspired many ideas now!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
Bergkamp_
Favourite scope: Telescope that i can bring out

Post by Bergkamp_ »

Yes.. i agree with tim.. its a great DIY and will trigger more new ideas to protect our investments =P
Wee Ern aRmeD wiF Telescope reAdY tO taKe ovEr thE skY .. wIF jUst mY naKed eYEs .
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

In fact any investments. Some use a plastic like cabinet and install a de-humidifier inside. Some use their cupboards. I like this tent idea as it's movable and can be fitted to suit the item. Heck...you could devote an entire store room for all the investments, scopes and personal belongings with such a tent hung inside. Or maybe a small corner in the cupboard...etc etc.
Perhaps sound proofing for the kids...hahaha!!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Nice job! :)
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
kazumacat

Post by kazumacat »

Great job~! It's so nicely done~! applaudes
~Clear Skies~

Clear Skies~! I wish for Clear Skies when i'm free~!!! Clear Skies~!