Canon 200/2.8 for astrophotography

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Off topic...when I saw the " F4 " in swat pup's post....reminds me of my 1st Nikon SLR....The F4...how I miss that cam!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
vngks

Post by vngks »

The new 70-200mm Mk2 beats the 200mm Mk2.

Check this out:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revi ... &APIComp=2

Once I get the new 1.4x and 2x Mk3 extenders, I'll bug someone to mount my 70-200 + 1.4x + 2.0x + 550D (896mm focal length, 2.57kg total weight) on his tracking mount and see what I can get :)

I'm thinking of getting the "Astrodon" filter to mod my 550D too. Anyone have any feedback on this filter?

Cheers.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

while the 70-200 mk2 is a more versatile lens and sharper, it also is heavier and significantly more expensive..
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

vngks wrote: I'm thinking of getting the "Astrodon" filter to mod my 550D too. Anyone have any feedback on this filter?
The AstrodonInside filter for IR-filter replacement in DSLR bodies claims to let lesser NIR passing than the more popular Baader ACF/BCF competing filters, albeit slightly more expensive. This would probably translate to less NIR bleeding in star edges and gives one more well-defined star cores. Personally, I have yet to have mine modified based on this filter, though many in this community would have done the replacement with the more popular Baader ones. I used to have a set of Don Goldman's filters but this is for CCD RGB imaging and is not applicable in this context.
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

back to one of the side-notes. I took a look at my WO Flat 2 and it says on the side "X0.8 FLATTENER II FOR 66 APO"

so that's why I thought it was dedicated/recommended for the WO66 :-P
vngks

Post by vngks »

rcj wrote:
vngks wrote: I'm thinking of getting the "Astrodon" filter to mod my 550D too. Anyone have any feedback on this filter?
The AstrodonInside filter for IR-filter replacement in DSLR bodies claims to let lesser NIR passing than the more popular Baader ACF/BCF competing filters, albeit slightly more expensive. This would probably translate to less NIR bleeding in star edges and gives one more well-defined star cores. Personally, I have yet to have mine modified based on this filter, though many in this community would have done the replacement with the more popular Baader ones. I used to have a set of Don Goldman's filters but this is for CCD RGB imaging and is not applicable in this context.
Remus, thnx for the heads-up.

Cheers.
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

I'm thinking of getting the "Astrodon" filter to mod my 550D too. Anyone have any feedback on this filter?
Just replaced my 350D from a clear filter to the Astrodon. Initial test is good, and the camera will maintain its focus on standard lenses without the need to shim the sensor. Will post a picture once I am done with processing.