Shooting Star (Meteor) in Auriga!

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Willie,

Can you tell us more? What a sight it must have been!

What date was it? Do you know? Maybe it was Sept 3rd, coz I saw something on that date.

Actually, why don't you start a new thread on satallite decays and we can talk about it there.

Chris
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

kcy,

Weren't you at Mars Watch II? If you were you would have seen the ISS.
kruncho

Post by kruncho »

I think it was around that that week or slightly earlier. After MWII im sure. I was with a few other friends, warming up to take some Mars and Moon shots later in the night. Well, the object was up very high up almost zenith towards the west. I viewed it through a C8 and the dispersed fragments were 'floating' and through the scope, it looked like 'open star cluster' with a evening blue background. Magnificent!

chrisyeo wrote:Willie,

Can you tell us more? What a sight it must have been!

What date was it? Do you know? Maybe it was Sept 3rd, coz I saw something on that date.

Actually, why don't you start a new thread on satallite decays and we can talk about it there.

Chris
kcy
Location: Some where in space...some where in the evolution of time...

Post by kcy »

Hmm chris i was at marswatch! But ya noe...i was being chased around the whole resevoir and the adjacent HDB estates. But isnt ISS the same as other satellites? Just another bright dot in the sky 8) . Oh ya...how was the pattern of the ISS?
Yours Sincerly,

Kong Chong Yew 8)
SP astronomers
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Hi Zongyao,

I was the guy with the celestron with you and Sam that night. :)

LOL, you were busy being spiderman and missed the sights.

At about 5am in the morning the ISS made a pass and it was incredibly bright (brighter than Sirius). Those who were there would have remembered it. It was the brightest satellite and one of the first I've ever seen and a wonderful experience. I won't forget it. (thanks to everyone who organised marswatchII!)

Yup, the ISS looks just like any other satellite to the naked eye, but because it's so large, it one of the brightest objects out there. Jean-Yves seems to be the only one here who has imaged it before. Check his website and you can see the 'pattern' of the ISS.

chrisyeo
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

oh... hey chris.. say properly la... i tot you refered to me 'busy being spiderman'... i was at marswatchI but went home at 11 cos too cloudy. then didn't go for marswatchII.. so couldn't have been playing spiderman!

The guy with the celestron with me and sam?! who? when? It's like a month since i last touched a scope, preparing all the way for my promos, which (luckily) end tmr... :D Last time i did touch a scope was at NPAC watching stars preparing for ANE... grievious you'd be there again ya?
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

Last time i did touch a scope was at NPAC watching stars preparing for ANE... grievious you'd be there again ya?
Unfortuantely, No. Due to some things, i prefer to stay out of the Club's proceedings and concentrate on mentoring RP Astronomers. But do try to enjoy the camp eh? Prehaps i would drop by for a night, but thats prehaps.

Charlie
The gentle light of a distant galaxy
must needs pour into mine eye.
Or i shall with bent and turned,
fall me down, distraught..To die.