Shooting Star (Meteor) in Auriga!

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
Devilname

Shooting Star (Meteor) in Auriga!

Post by Devilname »

Hi all,

Just like to share my recent view from the sky. On the morning of 1st October around 3:50 am i was just looking around the sky trying to make out some clusters and nebulas in the sky using a roughly 50mm NVD (Night Vision Device), i happened to scan around the constellation Auriga, when suddenly a flash of light zoomed across my field of view. It was astonishing! I could see the heat of the trail and the glare of the meteorite which was roughly the magnitude of the brightest star in Auriga (Capella). I was telling myself how lucky to see a meteor at this magnification (6X) , and didn't wait to tell my friends about it. I drew out a diagram of the view from which i saw the meteor.

The NVD is of course a heat detection device and whatever we see through it is green (and so is the picture).
Last edited by Devilname on Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcy
Location: Some where in space...some where in the evolution of time...

Post by kcy »

Hey Congraduations!

I'm not much of a meteor guy..more of a satellite guy. Lots of satellite are covering my view of meteors! :o Seen one thru a 6X30finder..thru a C8 at 81X..thru naked eye across half of the sky and even brighter then sirius!

Anyone seen the ISS before? :?:
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

Yeap, i've seen the ISS before at Pulau Ubin with the SP Astronomers. It was _BRIGHT_!

Charlie
starfirez

Post by starfirez »

there was once during a mars ob in my sch i saw flashes or white blinking lights across the sky.. i thot it was a plane but then i realize plane lights are not so bright and it is not totally white. is it a satellite??
Devilname

Post by Devilname »

I did see something in the sky last friday, it started somewhere from sagittarius, moved NE wards, think it was a satellite. It was blinking on intervals like a flashing lightbulb and moving very fast across the sky, though not as bright as sirius...My friend told me it maybe was the US trying to test out their new toys and i just laugh it out. Anyone can verify?
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

It's either a plane or it's superman with X'mas decorations.
For satellites, they should'nt be blinking (unless serious atmospheric disturbance!), they should be just a fast-moving point of light, usually travelling east-bound(am i correct?).

Charlie
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

I think so grievious. Satellites are east-bound. And no, devilname, it can't be a US toy (or they're seriously violating air-space rules!). I'd rather think of it as a UFO :P

Haven't seen a satellite nor a meteor at night before. Seen one or two shooting stars in the morning, though. Dunno how y'all spot satellites? Might want to try out, it's fun looking at such machines ;)
Devilname

Post by Devilname »

zong wrote:I think so grievious. Satellites are east-bound. And no, devilname, it can't be a US toy (or they're seriously violating air-space rules!). I'd rather think of it as a UFO :P

Haven't seen a satellite nor a meteor at night before. Seen one or two shooting stars in the morning, though. Dunno how y'all spot satellites? Might want to try out, it's fun looking at such machines ;)
Hey, try http://www.heavens-above.com its the best prediction of visible satellites site out there, in fact, theres several tonight including the iridium flare which will appear, i think ard 2020 hours. If the sky is clear we will be able to see it. Seen them several times, darn bright and on time too... just sync ur watch with the GPS time.

BTW, Grievous, u live pretty near to me, u know of any good observation sites near us? Well, if u are out on an observation session...care for me to tag along? I am about to buy a telescope soon, and i sure need more advice.. Can't wait to see the sky thru a telescope...[/glow]
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

Oh Well, actually there's no problem with me. I'm in a process of "gaining access" to my HDB rooftop. Or you could just call me out when the skies cleared up on Thurs-Sat night. Usually on fri nights, i'll be either in NP, SP or RP. But usually at RP cos im serving as their mentor there. Just beep me!

Charlie
kruncho

Post by kruncho »

Talking about satellites, 1 month plus back while I was observing mars at NTU around 730pm, happen to catch a very bright 'stationary' object in the sky.

Took the scope to check it out, and realised it's a 'satellite' part burning up in the atmosphere! Wow, talking about the 'fireworks' as it burns up and disperse into many tiny fragments. Pity I din have the camerma set up in time for it. it's was gone in 2 min! =(

Willie NTU