Earth Hour at Woodlands Waterfront

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
rlow

Re: Earth Hour at Woodlands Waterfront

Post by rlow »

Airconvent wrote:Good outing rlow and so many new people. It looks like you got a better chair finally too ..haha
aiyoh...you guys are more interested in the chair then in the astro equipment or what was observed? hahaha!

But it is still a good point to bring up :)

This is a very useful multi-purpose stool. It is actually a step-stool with a rated capacity of 150kg. It was the last piece bought at my neighbourhood shop. I had already been using it for more than one year.

Serves well as a seat, a table for my eyepiece case, as a standing platform for kids to reach the eyepiece height of my 15" dob. Kochu loves to borrow this step-stool when he needs to check above his imaging setup at Sedili.

It is very lightweight and opens/close in a split second, so i usually keep it in the car. My wife uses it when she washes the moonroof. If i have to stop the car at the road shoulder, it serves as a temporary "white/yellow" safety indicator before i setup the orange triangle.
Richard Low
rlow

Post by rlow »

Gary wrote:Good to see the yellow sub in action again. Do share with us your thoughts on using this scope on this mount and tripod.
The mount is a Astroslew Inox, similar size to the DM4. Very stable and smooth without need for counterweight. That night the public were viewing at 324x without any problem. I had used this 6" apo on this mount at 1300x on the Moon.

The tripod is a Velbon WX-851, lightweight but stable enough. I am able to carry this tripod/mount combo in one hand, and the 6" apo OTA in the other hand, with the other accessories in a backpack, hence it just meet my criteria for a "grab-n-go" setup.
Last edited by rlow on Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Low
rlow

Post by rlow »

weixing wrote:Hi,
Nice... look like rlow had been drag to the "T side"... ha ha ha :mryellow:

Have a nice day.
Well, I have owned and used many "T side" items over the last few years...

Plossl: 7.4mm, 10.5mm, 15mm pair, 25mm pair, 32mm pair
Panoptic: 22mm, 24mm pair
Radian: 3mm, 10mm
Nagler: 3-6mm Nagler zoom, 7mmT6
Barlow: 1.8x, 2x Big Barlow, 2.5x
Paracorr: Type 1 & 2

...so this is just a natural progression :)
Richard Low
rlow

Post by rlow »

Clifford60 wrote:Rlow famous liao :mryellow: :mrgreen:
no lah, bro...

people may not forget that awesome sharp high-contrast view of the whole first-quarter Moon at 150x magnification filling the whole 100 deg. apparent field of view, but they wont remember who shown it to them :)
Richard Low
Jin Peng

Post by Jin Peng »

Hi Richard and all,

Many thanks for attending our Earth Hour stargazing activity at Woodlands Waterfront and give us your moral support. We are lucky to have clear sky that night and the public is fortunate to be able to view through Richard's 6" submarine telescope to see objects at amazing high magnification! Ms Grace Fu is really impress at the view especially seeing Jupiter!

It is a memorable day for most of us at Woodlands Waterfront and I hope to see everyone again in our next public stargazing event :)

Regards,
Kwan Jin Peng
Sam Lee

Post by Sam Lee »

FINALLY you recovered your account!
We are the Borg, Resistance is Futile!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi JP. Congrats on a very successful event and thanks for organising it for the benefit of the public! Good job!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.