Bishan Park sidewalk astronomy- Tonight (1/9/2014)

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
Davegn
Favourite scope: 94" Ritchey Chrétien reflector telescope

Bishan Park sidewalk astronomy- Tonight (1/9/2014)

Post by Davegn »

Weather permitting, Some of us will be conducting a sidewalk astronomy session at Bishan Park.

Date: 1/09/2014
Time: From PM onwards
Venue: Bishan Park's McDonald's

We would be bringing our telescopes for the session.

Feel free to join us.
All are welcome to join in the fun with or without telescope.
Last edited by Davegn on Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 90 times in total.
Dave Ng
Bishan Park SideWalk Astronomy
http://www.facebook.com/SingaporeSidewalkAstronomy
Davegn

Re: Bishan Park sidewalk astronomy - tonight (24/05/2012)

Post by Davegn »

Sidewalk report for 24/05/2012

Started the seeing at around 7.30-ish P.M. Hazy skies at first upon reaching Bishan Park.

But seeing improved a lot later on. With lovely views of Saturn, Moon and Jewel Box (NGC 4755)! Too bad Mars was at Zenith; do not want to do “Astronomy Yoga” tonight.

WOW! The seeing on the moon was beautiful! With only around 10% of the moon being reflected back to us, used my push the power to up to x167 (Guess to time to get an x2 barlow soon). At x42 was able to see the earth shadow casted on to the moon. Lovely sight! Saturn’s Cassini division was visible as well at X167.

Stunned groups of people who came to see what I was doing.

As there were not many crowds during the weekdays, I could slowly take my time to give every group a tour of Singapore’s Skies thru a telescope.

Since I had time in between groups, tried a different approached called “the small Tour of Singapore’s Skies”.

First stop! The Moon at x167. Following up with the planet Saturn at x42 (many were shock the stars near Saturn were Moons instead!) and then to x167 with a more detailed view of Saturn itself. End the tour with an open cluster jewel box (NGC 4755)! Was feeling like a space tour guide?

This is the reason why I love to do sidewalk during the weekday. More time to share with others the beauty of the universe and not forgetting to create awareness in Singapore.

Sidewalk session was cut short at around 9.45PM. Rain cloud and lighting decided to join the tour as well. Packed up and left. Overall, had a fun session with the people I met during the sidewalk. Would like to thank them for the support and interest they have in Astronomy! Thanks, and hope you all had a lovely night on the tour!

4" refractor Setup of the session!

Trying out a P&S cam on the moon, Piggy backed on my scope!
Dave Ng
Gary

Post by Gary »

A few more human beings in this world got a chance to see these astronomical wonders through a telescope because of you.

Good job and nice report! Keep up the good work! [smilie=cheer.gif]
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
James Ling

Post by James Ling »

Gary wrote:A few more human beings in this world got a chance to see these astronomical wonders through a telescope because of you.

Good job and nice report! Keep up the good work! [smilie=cheer.gif]
Hi Dave / Gary

If there are more people like both of you doing sidewalks, then the day will come when almost everyone knows what is astronomy all about.....

REgards

James Ling
Davegn

Post by Davegn »

Weather permitting, I will be conducting a sidewalk astronomy session at Bishan Park.

Date: 28/05/2012
Time: From 8 PM onwards
Venue: MDC @ Bishan Park 2 

Primary focus: Saturn, Mars and moon

Would bring my 4" refractor. 

All are welcome to join in the fun with or without telescope.
Dave Ng
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Bishan Park sidewalk astronomy - tonight (28/05/2012)

Post by Airconvent »

Oh man..I was at Toa Payoh just now looking to catch if Gary conducting a session there. Sky looks pretty clear just now with some clouds. Good hunting!
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Davegn

Post by Davegn »

28/5/2012 sidewalk session. 

What another beautiful and clear night. A little hazy but the seeing was still good!

a fruitful session. Had great view on moon, saturn and mars. Managed to push the power all the way to x167. 

The moon was lovely. One of the best I seen so far with my refractor. Saturn and mars. Both on x167. Lovely views of the mars' ice caps and Saturn's Cassini division. Yet again the crowd enjoined the seeing on both of them. 

When it got later, had wonderful views of NGC 6231, M7 and M6. Sky was clearer at that point of time. 

Thanks to Hazrie who brought down a super old school telescope. 50mm refractor. Very nice viewing on the moon and thanks for joining the session! Wonderful time bro! Hope to have taught you a thing or two on astronomy. 

Big thanks to Avarielle who came down after her work! Hope you had a wonderful time and enjoyed the views tonight! (and away from those dinosaurs). And yes! Will rest my leg as much as possible. 

Thanks to all those who came and join in the session! Tonight's session would not be success without you guys!
Dave Ng
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

quite a clear night tonight! glad u guys managed to do something.....look up! :-)
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
Gary

Post by Gary »

@James - Thanks for taking the time to say some words of encouragement. Newcomers like Dave and Avarielle who are starting out in sidewalk astronomy are doing all of us a big favour in spreading awareness of our hobby and this forum. Even if we are not able to physically attend their sidewalk sessions to lend support, the very least we can do is to spend a few seconds to punch a few keys on our keyboard to express our gratitude and encourage them in this astronomy forum. :)

@Airconvent - Sometimes I tweet some stuff but forget or just too lazy to post it in singastro. But since I going to reply to you now, might as well mentioned it. Venus Transit is coming and with my ever increasing workload, have little time left for hobbies (don't even have time to update my blog). So whatever time I will able to spend now, I try to use them to prepare for Venus Transit (instead of sidewalks). I still have some solar filter and scope combinations to test out and DIY and there is only 8 more days left! [smilie=desperate.gif]

Moreover there is a Pasam Malam at the open area outside Toa Payoh Library until 9 June 2012 so even if I am free to do sidewalk before Venus Transit, it will most probably not be conducted there.

In any case, you have my number and anytime you are wondering if I will be doing a sidewalk, just sms/whatsapp me. :)

@Dave - Good job! Thanks for the report. Hope you have taken some photos. :) Clear sky indeed for Singapore standard. Saw dimmer stars inside Summer Triangle without any dark-eye adaption on my way back home around 2 am. Ring nebula should be visible in your scope then. :) Hope to meet Hazrie and his scope someday. Do enjoy the friendly company of Avarielle while you still can because soon she may "abandon" us to set up her "base camp" near her area. :P
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Gary wrote:Do enjoy the friendly company of Avarielle while you still can because soon she may "abandon" us to set up her "base camp" near her area. :P
@Gary, if that happen, you should become the roaming inspector going around all "base camp" for audit. :mryellow: Frankly, hope that one day there will be a lot of "base camp" in operation in any night.

@Dave, admire your energy and believe you must have enjoyed a lot last night.