Best (to me) ever place for Star Gazing!

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
Devilname

Best (to me) ever place for Star Gazing!

Post by Devilname »

Recently i went onto the sister's island to explore, namely, Pulau Subar Laut which is the bigger one of the two islands, and found that the place there is a very good place to observe the skys. The beach at the lagoon has an unobstructed view of the east but the west is obstructed by trees. To get the western view, I would have to travel a very short distance to the other side of the island, but it is also slightly obstructed by the other island, Pulau Subar Darat. Light pollution is minimal, as the seas off the island is clear of any anchorages and also because it is next to a fairway, which therefore clears the problem of light pollution from brightly lit megaton ships anchored at anchorages eg. the southern waters off kallang river or east coast. Therefore a wide angle photography of the constellations in the sky can be pretty ideal if its a moonless night.
Transport there will be a problem, unless u are a strong swimmer :lol:. So a medium sized group, max 12. pax, will benefit as the cost of transport can be shared.
I may be going there on november to catch annual leonid meteors, but my group is very small (3), so it will be fun if more can go... If u are lucky, u will be able to see the native residents on the island... some monkeys which have been left there to flourish. Attached is an outline map of the island i am toking about..
IceAngel
Favourite scope: Sky 90

Post by IceAngel »

it will be fun there.. but dun think i free to go :(
*~Stars AND Clear Sky always~*
Leslie
*Owner of Antares 93mm Achromat Refractor* :)
-10.11.03-
*Owner of Takahashi SKY 90 Fluorite Doublet Apochromat Refractor* :D
-25.03.06-
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Wow, the place does sound promising. What was the dimmest magnitude star that you could see while you were there? Is the milky way visible? :mrgreen:

I would certainly like to go but can't commit now cos' of work.
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

I'll be either at Ubin or some Indonesia Islands by then. But, i'll try though, advisable to bring equipment to your island?

Charlie
dew

Post by dew »

hey that does sond good.. what is the transport cost? do you have to charter a boat before hand or something?
hmm.. and is it ok to observe next to the beach with all the salt water spray in the air?

eu-wen
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

errr...better not bring any equipment then until we can find a good spot inland.

Charlie
Devilname

Post by Devilname »

dew wrote:hey that does sond good.. what is the transport cost? do you have to charter a boat before hand or something?
hmm.. and is it ok to observe next to the beach with all the salt water spray in the air?

eu-wen
The transport may be quite expensive, so having more people go can split cost. The boat to hire is from clifford pier, and the air there is shielded more or less from the sea spray by the trees and wats more is that the breakwaters will help in reducing sea spray as the water is very calm, typical of a lagoon. The dimmest magnitude star i can see is i think about 5, much like watching the sky in a rural area, as the place is totally free from artificial lamp lights.

If i have a chance to go there again, i will try to take some photos show u all.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Unless it is serviced by a Ferry service, would bve risky to bring large equipment there. also, I assume ferry timings are quite limited.
also have to watch for fine sea spray which will deposit on your ota..

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
elton

Post by elton »

Is there shelter on the island? If not, we could be totally drenched when it rains. I don't mind checking it out though. What about the cluster of islands around Lazarus and St john's? They are much larger than sisters so the sea spray problem could be less.
Devilname

Post by Devilname »

elton wrote:Is there shelter on the island? If not, we could be totally drenched when it rains. I don't mind checking it out though. What about the cluster of islands around Lazarus and St john's? They are much larger than sisters so the sea spray problem could be less.
yeah there are many rain shelters all around the island, its all made for the campers and tourists, also got toilet to do ur business. Lazarus is totally not accessible for public, unless u can get a life raft, as for st john, the island has too many lights on the developed side, whereas the other side has no flat soild ground, only steep grounds. Kusu is next to mainland, therefore there will be alot of light pollution. Raffles lighthouse (pulau satumu) may be a good candidate, but is also inaccessible to public. the other islands either has no flat soild ground, or are protected areas.