MERSING Expeditions (May 2024) Info/Report

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Re: MERSING Astro Trip and Reports/Photos (March 15-17 2013)

Post by shirox »

Here's mine!

and this is a single exposure of m20 and m8. 20mins iso 800!

http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!
kochu
Favourite scope: Sharpstar-107PH Triplet.

Post by kochu »

Very nice images Elton, especially the Rho Ophiuchi one.
Kochu
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Wonderful images! So that's what you were doing back there! :)

It has been an experience going back to Mersing after all these years. This time, I was there with Gavin and joined by Remus' girlfriend too who could not follow the van one day earlier. The route to Mersing changed a little but we still managed to find our way there...haha.

The new chalet huts, albeit rudimentary, does make the place more livable and with a proper place to sleep and bathe too. I would love to deploy at the main field next time when the grass is shorter and there are more of us there. The constant wind was a problem with high magnification but the rubber stoppers that Gavin used worked wonders.

This trip, due to last minute pull out, we did not have the 18 incher with us but Gavins's LX90 made up for it and rekindled the reasons why i liked a goto scope. We managed to catch a few seconds of Panstarrs after a hurried set up before it disappeared into the clouds and horizon. Unfortunately, the rest of Remus' team were having dinner in the canteen. The rest of the night have been productive too as we looked at over 30 galaxies/galaxy pairs/galaxy triplets, Saturn and a number of nebula and clusters too. I counted 8 meteors that night including one short fireball that many of us saw! At one point, there was a slight drizzle and I was very worried we would be stuck there but fortunately, it cleared up but by 6am, the clouds was quite bad, so we decided to pack up and return early to avoid the jams. Most of the guys were still sleeping, so no chance to say goodbye..

And due to the dark environment., I have to apologize to those I have been speaking to as were not able to cover much during out short conversation and I never really caught their names too. They look so enthusiastic. Hope to be able to talk shop and share more on astro apps during one of the many sidewalk astronomy sessions. :)

Apart from Panstarrs, the highlight of the night was Gavin discovering that there was a planetary ring nebula amongst the stars in the M46 cluster! Seen it alot of times but never realised a nebulae was there. We asked Kelvin to image it, so hopefully we will get to see it in print.

Thanks to Remus for organising the trip, the hospitality of everyone especially Kelvin who let us use his toilet and to Gavin for letting me use his LX90 when he was asleep!

:)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

melcolmlee wrote:Haha nice photos from Yihan !
This has been a fruitful trip ! Just wanna share what we have done.
Nice capture melcomlee! We were trying to find the Horsehead that night but in the end was not able to. Managed to make out the flame nebula nebulosity though.
Thanks for showing it here...have to catch it again next trip! :)
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
WOW!! Excellent images... :mrgreen:

Borg 60ED on G11... Can balance?? Is the counter-weight bar too heavy... ha ha ha :mrgreen:

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
shirox
Favourite scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Post by shirox »

Haha the beautiful thing is my set up is resistant to wind lol
http://eltonastronomy.blogspot.com/

Mersing finally installed some water sink!
rcj
Vendor

Re: MERSING Astro Trip (APRIL 12-14 2013) Registration Opens

Post by rcj »

beautiful pictures from everyone! and thanks to all for attending. Have amended the thread title (and first posting) to cater to the April trip next new moon period on the 12-14. Feel free to come!
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
liquidice

Post by liquidice »

do you guys welcome newbie with no scope or gear to join?
i dun wan rush into buying something and regret later.

so can i join to get to know more about gears and setup and things, so that what i may spending?

i am from east malaysia, btw
that means i will fly over to join u ppl, if i can make it on any sidewalk or trip.
i own vixen polarie and 2 SLR cam
thx
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

Hi liquidice,

No problem at all. Actually this is a very common question posed by attendees wanting to join the trip but have no equipment. We all have to start from scratch somewhere, and it is OK to come without anything but your eyes. It is also a great chance to see what others have, opportunities to look through them, and hope this can shape your decision and liking to ultimately getting an instrument that you will use and enjoy.

See you soon!
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

wow Remus...that was fast! Your scope has not even warmed up from the cold Mersing air and you are already planning the next one. :)
Hopefully we will be able to get a bigger group so we can set up at the main field. If only you can encourage the resort owner to open a side entrance to support civilized toilet breaks! :)