Good Friday Stargazing outside Toa Payoh Library-29 Mar 2013

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
Gary

Re: Good Friday Stargazing outside Toa Payoh Library-29 Mar

Post by Gary »

liquidice wrote: in case of rain, do you guys bringing your gear somewhere indoor as gathering over cup of coffee?
Hi Liquidice. If the rain happened before we are there, may be not as we may just cancel the event or postponed to a much later timing. But if we are already there and then it rained (touch wood), then coffee is not a problem!

There's a 24hr McDonald's and a few 24hr coffeeshops near our Toa Payoh observation site. Usually after our stargazing sesions at Toa Payoh, we go for a nice supper/drink nearby - like the nice late supper we had during the previous stargazing talk at the library.

As of now, the sky is still very hazy. No signs of it clearing up soon.

But having said that, I was able to observe Saturn through the haze through a dobsonian telescope a couple of days ago. With naked eyes, Saturn looks like a very faint dot in the haze, yet the view through the dob is still surprisingly bright and sharp.

Do let us know your final decision if you are coming by replying to this thread, PM or email me at gary@astro.sg. Thanks!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Mariner wrote:Out of curiosity. What are the EPs that you usually make use of during these sessions?
Depending on the telescope volunteers who are coming for the sidewalks, quite a wide variety. From basic plossls to premium ultra wide eyepieces. If you are coming, do bring alone yours for us to enjoy! :)

-- John Dobson.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Changed the event timing to 8:00pm tonight.

Weather permitting, we shall start observing Jupiter and Orion in the west while waiting for Saturn and Moon to rise high enough for a decent view in the east from about 10pm.

As usual, for latest updates, in case I do not have time to update this thread, please check my twitter or read the tweets from my blog.

Clear enough skies please! :)

-- John Dobson.
Gary

Post by Gary »

No go for 8pm stargazing. Rain stopped but sky still cloudy. Next update at 9pm. Stay tuned. :)

-- John Dobson.
Gary

Post by Gary »

No go for 9pm. Eastern sky slightly clearer than West. Faint Sirius spotted only. Next update 10pm. Still optimistic as of now.

-- John Dobson.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Moon and Spica spotted. It is a GO for free public stargazing tonight.

We will take our chances. Setting up telescopes around 10:15pm.

-- John Dobson.
Mane.Ganden
Favourite scope: Skywatcher 130p Heritage

Post by Mane.Ganden »

WOO! omw!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Mane.Ganden wrote:WOO! omw!
Thanks for dropping by last night! So glad you are able to make it. Must be a very memorable night for you and hope to see you again at Bishan Park in the future! :P

-- John Dobson.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Brief report:

- Glad we took our chances on Good Friday despite the bad weather earlier in the evening. Set up the telescopes around 10pm+.

- One refractor, one tak mewlon and three dobs were setup. :P

- The patch of sky where Saturn and Moon were located gets clearer and clearer as the night progresses. Again, thanks to clear-sky lucky charm James being present. :P

- Happy to finally meet Mane and his dob and to see Depardeuz and his dob meet Mane's too!

- One of the highlights for me is to see Depardeuz answering Mane's questions like a veteran and dumping lots of advice and tips at him. Time really flies. I remember doing the same to Depardeuz in the past. Very heart-warming scene. :)

- Thanks to Depardeuz, Dave and Ava taking good care of Mane, I can focus my energies on "challenging" James and his Tak!

- Thanks to Clifford for bringing a couple of grenades to try out on the dob and figuring out how to make my Baader 24mm focus in it.

- Took a nice photo of a couple standing besides the dob with the Moon high up in the sky in the background. Was sitting on the ground and positioning their phone a few millimeters off the ground. The shot turned out great. The joy of seeing them wow-ing at the photo was greater!

- Nice small crowds turn out every now and then. So we were able to spend more time explaining more astro stuff to them and help them take more photos of Moon through our scopes.

- Shortly after midnight, sky was totally clouded. Only James, Depardeuz and myself were around by then. Decided to pack up soon. Since we were thirsty and hungry, bought some fast food and ate them near the stone benches. Carried the dob into the sheltered tentage just in case it starts to pour. The Tak remained at where it was with its cover on.

- While enjoying our food under the clouds, we had a nice astro chat.

- After we finish our food at around 1am+, took a look at the sky..... CLEAR!!!!!! Saturn and Moon shinning brightly near zenith!

- The tracking of James setup was so accurate that Saturn was still dead in the center of the eyepiece!

- Shifted the dob back out of the tentage. Realised it wasn't properly collimated earlier as we were too anxious to take the first looks at Saturn through it in case the weather turns bad suddenly.

- Took my time to do a better collimation this time and then we were all set for a proper shootout between the two 10-incher!

- We matched the magnification at about 300x and compared the views.

- All 3 of us concluded the dob gave a much better view! Sharper, more contrast, brighter moons, wider view! The Tak gave a warmer and fuzzier view. I personally prefer the "creamy" look in the dob. (Tak owners please continue reading ... :P)

- After Depardeuz left, I continued to observe Saturn and Moon while James continued to test the GOTO accuracy of the mount and looked at a few star clusters. After a while, we realised the Tak collimation was quite off after looking at some stars followed by some star testing!

- We were too tired by then to do a proper collimation on the Tak. The lack of chairs and suitable stars at a comfortable altitude is not helping the situation. So we decided to call it a day, packed up and left at around 5am+.

- So the stage is set for a future round two of 10" dob vs properly collimated 10" Tak Mewlon! Hope I can improve on the secondary mirror alignment and mark the center of the primary mirror of the dob more accurately by then. :)

- In conclusion, our first looks at the Saturn through this dob and the tak was totally worth staying up late. A good Friday (and Saturday) for us indeed.

Some pics:

Moon through the dob. Handheld handphone shot. Cropped and resized.

-- John Dobson.