Queenstown - Margaret Drive Ob-Site

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
Desmond_T
Favourite scope: Celestron Tavelscope 70

Queenstown - Margaret Drive Ob-Site

Post by Desmond_T »

Hello fellow stargazers!

I have been scouting for good places to view the night skies recently. As we all know, there are few rare locations in Singapore that offer good views. I found a fairly dark area around Queenstown, Margaret Drive. It's just next to the Queenstown Public Library and in front of the old Queenstown Remand Prison.

I went there on both occasions - both night and day. Unfortunately, I didn't dare to venture too deep when I was there alone at night, and also I did not take any night shots of the site. But I certainly could see stars with my naked eyes when I was there. So I went back again the next day to take some shots for you guys to see.

Be advised, there are mosquitoes and other critters there. So it's good to bring insect repellent!

For those of you who drive, you can park along Jalan Penjara. If not, you can take the MRT and alight at Commonwealth MRT Exit B and take bus 32. It's only 2 stops away. Alight after the library. This is not really a public sidewalk, it's catered more for hardcore amateur astronomers to go. Looking forward to organizing one there soon! [smilie=admire.gif]

Clear skies~
ggodetucsamoht

Re: Queenstown - Margaret Drive Ob-Site

Post by ggodetucsamoht »

Very good and informative presentation you have there. Keep it up. Looking from your pix there are far too many housings whithin see-able view hence the light pollution might still be little bad. One of the area which wont fail us should be lim chu kang area, I have yet to find any buddies who are interested to join me get into the heart of the chinese cemetries for milkyway shooting. I am sure this would be the ideal location for obs.

In the society now ghost is not really a matters but too much crimes and foreigner all over our country so anyone were to do private obs or recce got to be 102% alert and cautious.....
Davegn
Favourite scope: 94" Ritchey Chrétien reflector telescope

Post by Davegn »

Thanks for sharing in such detail! Will drop by one of this days!
Dave Ng
Bishan Park SideWalk Astronomy
http://www.facebook.com/SingaporeSidewalkAstronomy
Desmond_T

Post by Desmond_T »

ggodetucsamoht wrote:Very good and informative presentation you have there. Keep it up. Looking from your pix there are far too many housings whithin see-able view hence the light pollution might still be little bad. One of the area which wont fail us should be lim chu kang area, I have yet to find any buddies who are interested to join me get into the heart of the chinese cemetries for milkyway shooting. I am sure this would be the ideal location for obs.

In the society now ghost is not really a matters but too much crimes and foreigner all over our country so anyone were to do private obs or recce got to be 102% alert and cautious.....
True, that site is not really for AP, just pure OB-ing as there's still considerable amount of light.

Before I took up astronomy, I was afraid of ghosts lor, but now I am more afraid of lights. What the hell.... lol [smilie=dying.gif]
Clear skies~
Desmond_T

Post by Desmond_T »

Davegn wrote:Thanks for sharing in such detail! Will drop by one of this days!
Sure bro, let me know when you want to visit. :mrgreen:
Clear skies~
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

Desmond_T : I like your 4th and 5th pic..seldom see paths in singapore with no lamps flooding it with light..how is the darkness compared to the ECP D1 coconut patch?

Regards,
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
Desmond_T

Post by Desmond_T »

Thanks Mystiq and Antares.

I have never been to the ECP D1 coconut patch, so I can't give you a comparison. Sorry about that. But I can tell you that this Magaret Drive site that I have explored is fairly dark when you go in deep. I didn't need to venture deep in and I can see some stars already, my eyes weren't even dark adapted yet.

That being said, I will go there again with a friend to do some observing with our telescopes first to see if it's really as good as I thought before organising an OB session there. Don't want people to get disappointed. :P
Clear skies~
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Post by Hardwarezone »

South west direction can have low lying clouds that glows reflective orange.
Also visible from my place at CCK. From Johor it looks like LOTR Mordor on the horizon.
Hardwarezone forum users noticed it since May-June this year and said it came out of Exxonmobil's "world's biggest" ethylene steam cracker.
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

Hi, I have done observing in that area at Margaret Drive a few times in the past few months. To be precise, it is the large field beside (just north of) Jln Penjara, about 50m from your indicated area and where the Queenstown Remand Prison buildings are shown in your post's satellite image (the buildings are long gone).

From the centre of the field I go to (the spot is marked as 'Red House Carved Furniture' in the satellite image), there is very little obstruction all round down to 10-20 degrees except for a small section in the SE due to distant buildings. Its actually quite dark there and so its suitable for visual astro. I have half an intention to overnite there for the Perseids on the night of 12 August.

Do let me know if you are obbing in that area!
Desmond_T

Post by Desmond_T »

starfinder wrote:Hi, I have done observing in that area at Margaret Drive a few times in the past few months. To be precise, it is the large field beside (just north of) Jln Penjara, about 50m from your indicated area and where the Queenstown Remand Prison buildings are shown in your post's satellite image (the buildings are long gone).

From the centre of the field I go to (the spot is marked as 'Red House Carved Furniture' in the satellite image), there is very little obstruction all round down to 10-20 degrees except for a small section in the SE due to distant buildings. Its actually quite dark there and so its suitable for visual astro. I have half an intention to overnite there for the Perseids on the night of 12 August.

Do let me know if you are obbing in that area!
Cool. I can tag along on the 12th of Aug if you don't mind. [smilie=admire2.gif]
Clear skies~