Free Public Talk: Summer Triangle & Meteor Shower - 5 Aug

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
Gary

Free Public Talk: Summer Triangle & Meteor Shower - 5 Aug

Post by Gary »

Source: http://www.astro.sg/2013/08/free-public ... angle.html

The next public stargazing talk I will be conducting is titled "The Summer Triangle & Perseid Meteor Shower".

Date: Monday, 5 Aug 2013
Time: 7:30pm - 8:30pm
Venue: Toa Payoh Public Library. Level 1 Programme Zone.

Admission is free. No pre-registration required. Late-comers also welcomed!

Participants will be taught how to identify and appreciate the one of the most prominent asterism formed by 3 bright star in 3 separate constellations. A3-size printed star maps will also be distributed.

The last segment of the talk will be about the upcoming Perseid Meteor Shower - the best and most anticipated meteor shower of 2013! Learn how and where to catch them right here in Singapore!

Weather permitting, during/after the talk, there will be an impromptu live stargazing session at open space just outside the library. You can observe stars and Saturn through our telescopes!

So bring your family and friends along and acquire skills that will enable you to enjoy stargazing for the rest of your life!

These public stargazing talks are usually conducted on the third Monday of each month. Due to some changes in the library schedules, only for the month of August, it will be conducted on the first Monday instead (5 Aug 2013). Sorry for my late announcement and potential inconvenience this may have caused.

The latest GoLibrary publication and website do reflect the correct date of 5th of August.

Since my August talk is now happening before Perseid Meteor Shower, I have decided to include this in my talk content so participants can be aware of this in advance.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Gary

Re: Free Public Talk: Summer Triangle & Meteor Shower - 5 Au

Post by Gary »

Heavy rain this morning. Hopefully sky will be clear enough to do some live stargazing tonight. :)

-- John Dobson.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Big thanks to Toa Payoh Public Library for hosting the astro talk last night and all the participants who came from various parts of Singapore! One the talks that I enjoyed most delivering!

Unfortunately, weather wasn't good last night (James, where are you? :P), so there was no live stargazing session. Quickly browsed through most of the feedback forms. Glad to see most ratings consisting of 4s and 5s (out of 5, not 10 :P). Absolutely worth every single caffeine-sustained brain cell employed to prepare for the talk! Especially so for last night's talk after coming back to Singapore at 5am+ on the same day.

Had a wonderful makan and astro chit chat session after the talk. Having so much fun seeing old-timers and newcomers mixing around and sharing our excitement for the hobby and upcoming stargazing plans, modifications and poisons.

Looking forward to future astro "town hall" meetings after the library talks!
[smilie=hell-yes.gif]

-- John Dobson.
bornfree
Favourite scope: Still searching for "The Eye"

Post by bornfree »

it was a great talk. good story sessions. this is the part where u really bring out the part, stargazing helps us learn about different cultures.
Born to be Free