Stargazing for Beginners - SAFRA Jurong- 17 Aug (Sat)

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
Gary

Re: Stargazing for Beginners - SAFRA Jurong- 17 Aug (Sat)

Post by Gary »

@yltansg - Nice pic and telescope! Thanks for sharing. :)

@godetucsamoht - Oops. Sorry about that. It was actually me since I need to find and focus it before the first public member can see it. :) Judging from the response from the public looking through it, I think it's worth the "sacrifice". :) It's ok. There are still 7 planets, a dwarf planet, Moon and Sun! Or get a 10-incher soon. :P

Because your dob is non-tracking, I did not push the magnification too much for the public. Base on how super bright Saturn was at that low magnification, you can definitely get a much better detailed view of Saturn at higher magnifications (e.g. 250x and above). So you still can do a more proper "first" light of Saturn at 250x and above and enjoy the magnificent details for the very first time in your dob.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
looyaa

Post by looyaa »

Hi Gary, congrats on the full house and appreciate your continuous efforts to educate and bring astro awareness to the public. Also great to see the support of many telescope volunteers for this event. Hope there will be more and more people taking up this as a hobby with you and your volunteers' efforts!

George
Gary

Post by Gary »

looyaa wrote:Hi Gary, congrats on the full house and appreciate your continuous efforts to educate and bring astro awareness to the public. Also great to see the support of many telescope volunteers for this event. Hope there will be more and more people taking up this as a hobby with you and your volunteers' efforts!

George
Hi George. Thanks for the nice words. Credit goes to the local veteran astronomers like Mr Au who have been paving the way for a few decades! So glad he was able to make it for the event despite his very busy schedule travelling in and out of the country.

You are doing a very fine job yourself sharing your landscape astrohotography photos and techniques. Your Milky Way and meteor photos shot in Singapore have generated much astro awareness within a short period of time. Keep up the good work! 99 days to ISON!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Davegn
Favourite scope: 94" Ritchey Chrétien reflector telescope

Post by Davegn »

Gary wrote: 99 days to ISON!
YES! Now the 2 figure count!
99 more days to plan shots!!
Dave Ng
Bishan Park SideWalk Astronomy
http://www.facebook.com/SingaporeSidewalkAstronomy
looyaa

Post by looyaa »

99 days to start waking up very early in the morning...... [smilie=desperate.gif]
Vincent_WF

Post by Vincent_WF »

Gary wrote:Back by popular demand, there will be a stargazing event at SAFRA Jurong this coming Saturday evening
TYVM for organizing the event, I had enjoyed the session very much.

Also very happy to see Mr. Au there.

And thanks a lot to Clifford for showing me those interesting celestial objects in the sky hidden from plain view, and told me lots of eye opening stuff.

Read up about John Dobson and found him a very interesting and inspiring person, and come to know of his passion for advocating sidewalk astronomy. I agreed with him on the misplaced focus by the mainstream in their pursues for knowledge of the cosmos.

Congrats to your team for the successful event.
- The entire observable universe is subliminally paradoxical.
- By realizing the paradoxical effect of nature, it enlightens on how natural phenomena could be negated to render their delusions in a typical obfuscated manner.