Kranji - Lim Chu Kang Obs

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
bornfree
Favourite scope: Still searching for "The Eye"

Kranji - Lim Chu Kang Obs

Post by bornfree »

On a nice clear night of 23 Aug 2013, Thomas, Alex and I went to this sweet spot in Kranji, off Neo Tew Road.

Thomas and I arrived at the place just before the moon rose. the place is just pass that barrier. it was locked on hence prevented easy access, not impossible. that stretch of road, there are no street lamps. but due to light pollution from the Turf Club, the place wasnt too dark.the road in is like 400m or more. and fully paved. tall grass, about 1.5 m tall, on both sides and trees around the area, but not blocking most of the horizon view, but they do provide good cover from Turf Club's lights.

even at the barrier, we could start to see the teapot and scorpious! as we walked further in, more n more stars start to be visible! we speculated that if turf club turned off their lights, we might even get to see the milky way.. the place was really good to view stars. this is like one of the most stars i have seen in the past 10 years of my life, and i thought sg could not see so much stars since it was pretty light polluted. after scouting the place and found a proper place to setup, we went back to collect the gears.

as we unloaded, Thomas spotted a huge orange disk slowly creeping out of the horizon. the moon is out. to make the best of what little time we have before the moon outshine all the other stars, we had to move fast. Alex's car then drove in and we started to move all our barang in. setting up the 8" on the dob was pretty easy, but Alex's 4" Vixen doublet refractor on the a vixen SXD mount is another issue. we had to mount it with a half pier then balance the scope.

i just got a new 42mm 2" EP from Ian at 7pm and promptly put it to use on the 8" Newt. the wide views were stunning! a very good investment.. and i pray i wont go 2" EP only from here on... it is a very different experience having such wide view on the m7 cluster. which was so easy to spot it was visible to the naked eye.. on the other hand, Alex is having trouble with his new scope. it was yet to be deployed before. placing a 20mm into the focuser, without a diagonal, we cant even focus the scope on anything. switching to a 40mm EP, we can finally focus on the moon, but with the focuser fully extended. then with Thomas' diagonal, things were a little better, but still a 20mm cant focus! we tried with Thomas' DSLR camera and it had the same effect as the 40mm. we have no idea why this was the case and we only understood that an extender is required. then i remembered that a 2x barlow not so much as half the EP's focal length, but more of doubling the focal length of the OTA, Thomas passed me his 2X barlow, which has a detachable base, to which was detached to make the barlow 1.5x. this in turn resolved the issue, somewhat. more answers are required, why cant the scope work without a barlow?

about 2 plus, clouds started to gathered and we called it a day. Thank you, Thomas, for sending me all the way back to Tampines!

conclusion.
pro
  • the place is a good place to obs.
  • paved road, not grass
  • when the moon was near zenith, what the sky has to offer is about the same bishan on a moonless night
cons
  • Need own transport to access
  • near a reservoir everything just dew up
  • mozzies are plenty. mozzie patch almost dont work. even have mozzie coils lit up
Born to be Free
orly_andico

Re: Kranji - Lim Chu Kang Obs

Post by orly_andico »

1) how about safety?

2) the scope may need an extension tube to work; most scopes will only reach focus with a diagonal.
ggodetucsamoht

Post by ggodetucsamoht »

orly_andico wrote:1) how about safety?

2) the scope may need an extension tube to work; most scopes will only reach focus with a diagonal.
The Kranji Farm Resort are just beside. Early night hours you might able to enjoy loud singing from the resort itself. There is a guard post into the villa which 24hrs will have personnel station in it. The only worry which I just discover was the present of snakes and creatures which we met one crawling into our deployment ground last night. Mossies is one big area which we really need to tackle on.

Although the premisses are seem safe for obs but I think we should not do solo session as there are too many foreign workers around.
bornfree
Favourite scope: Still searching for "The Eye"

Post by bornfree »

from the first pic, the fence at the right belongs to the villa. if u use google map and look for neo tew road n the kranji farm resort, u can go have a street view n see the guard house and the resort has a bar. a max of maybe 10 and can deploy up to 6 scopes comfortably along that stretch. going further in there will be more trees blocking and you wouldnt deploy under a tree right? in the wooded area at the end of the road, we saw the outline of the trees n saw 1 crash down. we were at a very safe distance. it sounded like there was live firing in the area.. so long noone goes adventuring into the woods i would say the place is pretty safe.

i guess a nice crowd of 7 with 5 to 6 scopes n a couple of bino and GPL we can point n learn alot. did not even see a plane flying by!
Born to be Free
Gary

Post by Gary »

Good job exploring new places Alex, Thomas, Bornfree! Nice report. Thanks for sharing!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Post by Hardwarezone »

Suggest don't use laser pointer there due to short distance away from airbase.
From my place at CCK I can see their apache helicopters quite often at night.