Free Public Stargazing Talk - The Andromeda Galaxy - 16 Sept

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
Gary

Free Public Stargazing Talk - The Andromeda Galaxy - 16 Sept

Post by Gary »

The next public stargazing talk I will be conducting is titled "The Andromeda Galaxy".

Date: Monday, 16 September 2013
Time: 7:30pm - 8:30pm
Venue: Toa Payoh Public Library. Level 1 Programme Zone.

Admission is free. No pre-registration required. Late-comers also welcomed!

Do you know under clear skies and at the appropriate time of the year, you can see the largest object in the Universe with your eyes alone?

Imagine if you have access to a telescope or binocular to enhance that view!

So come and find out more about the amazing Andromeda Galaxy - its fascinating mythology, scientific research value and how to locate it in the night sky.

*Weather permitting*, during/after the talk, there will be an impromptu live stargazing session at open space just outside the library. You can observe stars and Saturn through our telescopes! It's also the Mid-Autumn festival so come and see the gorgeous Moon - its craters, mountains, valleys and more!

Bring your family and friends along and acquire skills that will enable you to enjoy stargazing for the rest of your life!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Gary

Re: Free Public Stargazing Talk - The Andromeda Galaxy - 16

Post by Gary »

Thanks to all who came for the talk and live stargazing! Especially the telescope volunteers and helpers!

Some pics of the events:

The highlight for me was a boy asking me questions about colliding galaxies and interstellar travel immediately after the talk. Such an inquisitive mind and at a such a young age! I can tell he was very sincere about finding the answers to these questions from the way he phrase them, speaking clearly and confidently and paying very close attention to what I was saying. His parents were patiently waiting outside the programme zone while we continue our 1-on-1 discussions inside. They must be so proud of him!

Reminds me of a Carl Sagan quote - "It's only children nowadays that asked the big questions, because they don't know enough not to."
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.