Astronomy Talk at Anglo-Chinese School (Barker Road)- 18 Sep

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
Gary

Astronomy Talk at Anglo-Chinese School (Barker Road)- 18 Sep

Post by Gary »

Had a wonderful afternoon yesterday conducting a free astronomy talk at Anglo-Chinese School (Barker Road). Thanks ACS for the invitation! Since I only studied in mixed schools, it was a unique opportunity to experience the learning environment in a boys school. One advantage is the chances of walking into the wrong restroom is much lower! :)

As usual, the organiser was pleasantly surprised when they met me. They were expecting someone looking much older. Time to re-grow my goatee? :P

Considering the weather for the past couple of weeks, we were lucky to be able to observe the Sun after the talk. The boys loved it! They asked lots of questions about the Sun, telescopes and astronomy in general.

Big thanks to Dave for loaning his solar telescope! Forgot to bring my PORTA slow mo cables along. Fortunately, it is still smooth enough to locate Sun and not much need for small FOV high magnification views. Also want to thank my astro friends who were supportive of me taking up this invitation.

Had a nice solo tour around the campus after the event. Had a deeper respect for the school's rich tradition especially while reading their history on the huge pillars.

The organiser was very pleased with the event and looking forward to a bigger events there in the future. Would definitely love to organise events there again and spread more astro awareness to the friendly students, educators and staff!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
superiorstream

Re: Astronomy Talk at Anglo-Chinese School (Barker Road)- 18

Post by superiorstream »

Hi,Gary
Good work,pal.Keep it up.
Gary

Post by Gary »

superiorstream wrote:Hi,Gary Good work,pal. Keep it up.
Thanks Mr Chia. If you do have the spare time, perhaps you can consider sharing your solar knowledge with the schools near your area.

It will a pity if the current generation of students do not have access to real solar experts like yourself and Alfred.

-- John Dobson.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi,Gary
I have no car,but will be glad to join you in some school next time.It will also--I think--to acquire some solar images on that very day(afocally) for their school magazine/science club for display.Do you think that idea attractive?
Gary

Post by Gary »

Good idea Mr Chia. Most schools have nearby bus-stops. Can also negotiate with organisers to let them pay for the transport if bulky equipment is involved.

-- John Dobson.
yltansg
Favourite scope: Borg 76 + Solar Scope SF50

Post by yltansg »

Gary wrote:
superiorstream wrote:Hi,Gary Good work,pal. Keep it up.
Thanks Mr Chia. If you do have the spare time, perhaps you can consider sharing your solar knowledge with the schools near your area.

It will a pity if the current generation of students do not have access to real solar experts like yourself and Alfred.
Hi Gary,

Great job in reaching out to schools.

I have been doing my part with schools and anyone who is interested :) However I can only do so when I am not working. On top of what I am doing I am also keen to chip in when available. Timing is key :)

Alfred
Gary

Post by Gary »

Thanks Alfred! You are already doing a wonderful job considering the little free time you have after family and work commitments. Live streaming on NSN is a very efficient way to reach out to the masses too! :)

-- John Dobson.