Sidewalk Astronomy Idea

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
aleetk

Sidewalk Astronomy Idea

Post by aleetk »

Hi! Although I'm a newbie, I actually have this idea of starting a sidewalk astronomy session for the public in my area which is in Clementi. Wouldn't it be good if every estate or neighborhood had their own sidewalk astronomy session. The purpose of this is mainly to create awareness among the community. By doing so, I can put my equipment to better use and probably gain and learning something out of it. But I guess I probably need a helping hand. Would be good if there's someone staying in the same area or nearby who also shares the same interest. We can do ops together too. Anyway, this is just an idea.
Gary

Re: Sidewalk Astronomy Idea

Post by Gary »

Very good idea. It will be more than great if each neighbourhood had one. In the event you can't find another amateur astronomer nearby, you can ask a family member or good friend to accompany you. It is less scary that most people think. If you don't enjoy or like the session after a few minutes, you always have the option of packing pack up and go.

Do let us know when are you are conducting the sessions. If time permits, I may be able to drop by and lend some support.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Dark Neptune
Favourite scope: Sky-Watcher SkyMax 90mm, Coronado PST

Post by Dark Neptune »

aleetk wrote:Hi! Although I'm a newbie, I actually have this idea of starting a sidewalk astronomy session for the public in my area which is in Clementi. Wouldn't it be good if every estate or neighborhood had their own sidewalk astronomy session. The purpose of this is mainly to create awareness among the community. By doing so, I can put my equipment to better use and probably gain and learning something out of it. But I guess I probably need a helping hand. Would be good if there's someone staying in the same area or nearby who also shares the same interest. We can do ops together too. Anyway, this is just an idea.
Hey, count me in! I live near West Coast Park McDonalds'. Can join you if you're interested and if I am free! ^_^
Thanks.
Gary

Post by Gary »

I think there is at least a couple more staying near Clementi. They should be back to the forum/astro after they are done with the things they need to focus on for the next few weeks.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.