2013 Geminids on Dec14 and the Southern nova

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
superiorstream

2013 Geminids on Dec14 and the Southern nova

Post by superiorstream »

Hi,All
Thanks to Richard Low,we made the journey to Sedilli-In Johor Bahra in the early hours of 14 Dec 2013.We arrive at the location at approx 2.30am and the sky was in fact cloudy.
Thanks to Richard experience,he decided to wait anyway.The sky did slowly opens but between
2.30am to 4am its a NO show.At 4am,about half of the sky clears and meteors started to
shower;one after another.By 5.20 am Richard the count was 51 meteors in all,with 4 fireball.I saw the fireball too--one in Orion;2 near Leo(overhead),and one racing towards
the southern cross.These 4 perhaps can be seen in the light poluted sky of Singapore.
At 5.20am,we switch target and took a good look --through Richard Bino---at the Southern nova.Its there shining brightly through a 42mm bino.After that we made in back to Singapore.
Special thanks to Richard for making this possible to me.Its a good experience thr a real dark sight and really bring out the meaning of a 'meteor shower'.Its really a shower of many meteors.
Thanks again for making this possible for me.Thank you Richard.
Gary

Re: 2013 Geminids on Dec14 and the Southern nova

Post by Gary »

Congrats to you all and thanks for the nice meteor report! [smilie=good-job.gif] It's always a good thing to experience dark skies regularly to fuel the astro passion.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

seems like the Gemininids have more meteors per hour than the Perseids in august earlier was the gibbous moon still a probelm at 4am onwards?..nice report too, thanks for sharing
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
rlow

Post by rlow »

oops! i missed this thread til now.

Thanks to Chia for joining me to observe the "superiorstream" of Geminids 2013 which gave a splendid show on 14 Dec 2013 in spite of the poor skies. At any one time we could only see stars in 1/3 to 1/2 of the sky and it was also hazy. I think we were very lucky to see 50 Geminids (plus one sporadic meteor) during the time 4:00-5:20am which gives a rate of 40 meteors per hour. If the sky was totally clear that night, rate could proabably be 80-120 meteors per hour.
Richard Low