Sidewalk astronomy session

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
aleetk

Sidewalk astronomy session

Post by aleetk »

Hi guys! I think it will be full moon this coming Wednesday or Thursday so I was thinking of doing a sidewalk at West Coast Park. I wonder if we can see Jupiter and other objects too with the moon around. Anyway, I think I might need some help and company too since this is my 1st time doing this and I am no expert. Furthermore, I am quite shy so it really took me some time to muster up some courage to be doing this :P So I was wondering whether anyone is free to be there with me with their telescopes too. We can confirm day and time later. Do let me know. Thanks!
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Re: Sidewalk astronomy session

Post by antares2063 »

Hi alex, maybe it would be better to hold it on a friday or saturday evening? Rather than right smack in the middle of a work week.

Also from a observing point of view, a full moon looks flat and boring. Those who havent looked thru a scope, will go "wow" if they see craters, as it gives the moon more depth and 3D-like appearance, so doing it on friday or saturday, there will be craters visible.

Planets still can shine thru, DSOs will be muted, especially those in the part of the sky where the moon is.
Just my two cents :) gd luck for your sidewalk and clear skies.

I live in the east...west coast abit far for me and have no way to go home from there , if not wil surely join u.
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
aleetk

Post by aleetk »

Thanks for the advice antares especially on the part about the moon. It's a pity you are unable to join me.
antares2063

Post by antares2063 »

no probelm :) next time sure got chance to meet someday!
Gary

Post by Gary »

aleetk wrote:Hi guys! I think it will be full moon this coming Wednesday or Thursday so I was thinking of doing a sidewalk at West Coast Park. I wonder if we can see Jupiter and other objects too with the moon around. Anyway, I think I might need some help and company too since this is my 1st time doing this and I am no expert. Furthermore, I am quite shy so it really took me some time to muster up some courage to be doing this :P So I was wondering whether anyone is free to be there with me with their telescopes too. We can confirm day and time later. Do let me know. Thanks!
Hi Alex. Good to know you are interested in doing a sidewalk astronomy session! Any particular reasons to do it at West Coast Park since it will be near full Moon? How about a sidewalk session near Clementi where you live (e.g. near MRT)?

No doubt a full moon is not as interesting as gibbous moon in the context of observing lunar features. But from a sidewalk perspective, it can draw crowds and make them more willing to approach us to take a look. Most people who have not looked at Moon through optics generally assume full moon is the best time to observe it.

There will be clear nights when full moon happens. So don't waste those nights to observe or do sidewalk if you have the energy and mood to do so. One may try high magnifications on the lunar limb to show the public that Moon is not perfectly round at the edges. The concept of libration may also be explain to pique one's interest. You may also show the public how to identify the "rabbit" on the Moon which is easiest to observe on a full moon.

This particular upcoming full moon will be interesting as Jupiter will be nearby. A good opportunity to explain concepts of galilean satellites vs our Moon. Also, how a planet looks like a star to naked eyes, why Moon looks so much bigger than Jupiter which is suppose to be physically much bigger.

In short, Moon Jupiter conjunction this mid-week is a good opportunity for sidewalk and will keep you busy sidewalking for hours once the queuing starts. :)

Let us know the time and place of your potential sidewalk, barring no last minute appointments, I will try to make it with my telescope!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
antares2063

Post by antares2063 »

Maybe clementi abit overwhelming for first timer? Anyway no one has confirmed step up to join him so far..
Dark Neptune
Favourite scope: Sky-Watcher SkyMax 90mm, Coronado PST

Post by Dark Neptune »

Argh! Saw this post too late. West Coast Park is like just 300m or away from my house only lol......
Thanks.
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Post by Hardwarezone »

Jupiter looks quite good tonight with the moons 3+1 at the same side ... no clouds after 9pm
aleetk

Post by aleetk »

Dark Neptune wrote:Argh! Saw this post too late. West Coast Park is like just 300m or away from my house only lol......
Hi Dark Neptune. Almost forgot i got your no. Nvm. The next time i will remember to check with u.
Dark Neptune
Favourite scope: Sky-Watcher SkyMax 90mm, Coronado PST

Post by Dark Neptune »

Haha it's alright Aleetk.
Thanks.