Observing Jupiter on 11 Jan 2014

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
Canopus Lim

Observing Jupiter on 11 Jan 2014

Post by Canopus Lim »

It has been close to 1 year since I brought out my 12.5" telescope to study Jupiter; as Jupiter rise very 'early' for months and I cannot wake up at 4 or 5am to observe it… Now Jupiter is rising earlier in the evening and at 11 plus PM it is high in the sky, prime for detailed observation of the details before I sleep. :)

Sky conditions: Seeing average to good; @ 320x the image was stable and very sharp for 50% of the time. When Jupiter was highest, it was pretty stable but not the best kind of conditions Singapore skies can afford.

observation time: ~ 1h including sketching of details

The GRS was in view and it was pretty orange, perhaps quite close to salmon orange in color; I was pretty surprise of it being so orange actually.. There were white ovals on the north temperature and south temperate belts. There were bluish grey festoons between the North Equatorial and South Equatorial and only seen clearly when Jupiter was high up. The NEB had intricate swirling and the SEB was filled with many white colored storms.

Overall there was a lot of activity on Jupiter and the views were pleasing and sharp at 300 to 320x.

Equipment used:
Zambuto mirror Obsession telescope + paracorr + 6mm Delos (majority of the time)
Zambuto mirror Obsession telescope + 5mm Pentax XO

Attached is my simple sketch of Jupiter.

http://postimg.org/image/k5w7ifmxt/
AstroDuck
Gary

Re: Observing Jupiter on 11 Jan 2014

Post by Gary »

Nice observation report and sketch! Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see the bluish grey features for myself and share the view with others!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

Nice sketch! Hope can be as good someday :)
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Well just a simple sketch. It probably just convey only 70-80% of what I saw. Observing and sketching will enable one to see more details. :)

Anyway there are really beautiful and colorful sketches done by other people… looks real artistic and accurate.. I don't think I can ever reach that level. Haa.
AstroDuck