Mars - Olympus Mons Observation - 6 May 2014

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
rlow

Mars - Olympus Mons Observation - 6 May 2014

Post by rlow »

Last night 6 May 2014 I had a rather eventful observation.

Firstly, after I had set up my 15" dob beside my apartment block and collimated my scope for a quick look at Mars, a sudden deluge of water rained down on me. Two neighbours beside me did not get wet but they witnessed the downpour. Apparently someone upstairs has a habit of throwing water out of the window and I happened to pick the wrong spot to set up my scope.

So they helped me to carry and shift the scope to a safer location at the back of the block, right at the edge of the road kerb - see photo below! I re-collimated the dob and showed 9 neighbours and passerbys who were delighted by the views of the crescent Moon and Mars.

After 11:15pm, the passerbys and neighbours left and I was able to spend some private time to observe Mars. I had a magnificent view of Mars! Image was sharp and steady at 438x using the Leica ASPH Zoom with Zeiss 2x barlow, and 523x using the Ethos 3.7mm on my home-built 15" f/4.5 dob with ZOC mirror. Paracorr II was in use but I did not bring any filter. I didn't bring my equatorial platform, so I was observing just by drifting the object from edge to edge. Over here in Singapore, we usually have steady seeing and I usually observe planets at 400-600x on the 15" dob. Two years ago, I managed to observe Mars sharp and steady at 750x on this same dob.

I was delighted to observe two of the Tharsis Mons as distinct dark discs, so I did a quick pre-sketch on the back of an envelope at 11:43pm. Later after midnight, the third of the Tharsis Mons (ie, Arsia Mons) and Olympus Mons were clearly visible at the preceding limb, and I did a second pre-sketch at 00:26am. Asia Mons seems to be slightly closer to Tharsis Montes (the middle Mons) than Tharsis Montes to Ascraeus Mons, perhaps due to forshortening effect at the preceding limb. The first two Mons were seen distinctly as dark disk spots (almost like Jovian moon shadows), while Arsia Mons was a little indistinct and smeared. Olympus Mons was a faint and extended object in comparison to the three Tharsis Mons.

After my observation, I took a look at the condition of my primary mirror and it was littered with droplets of murky water - see photo below. Also the light shield at the rear of the primary mirror had fallen off while we carried the dob, so I was quite happy that I still had an excellent observation of Mars despite these handicaps. I told my wife I will only be observing for 15 mins but I ended up spending more than 1.5 hours!

Last edited by rlow on Thu May 08, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Richard Low
Gary

Re: Mars Observation - 6 May 2014

Post by Gary »

Nice report and photos! There is no such thing as observing for 15 mins. :P
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Great Red Spot
Favourite scope: Newtonian

Post by Great Red Spot »

Luckily the uncivilised dude did not throw curry!
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

Lucky no major damage to your zambuto mirror! Nice sketch rlow

regards,
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
rlow

Post by rlow »

Thanks Gary & Junwei!

At about 12:30am, another "pail of water" was thrown to the exact same spot where I had initially got drenched!
Richard Low
Gary

Post by Gary »

rlow wrote:Thanks Gary & Junwei!

At about 12:30am, another "pail of water" was thrown to the exact same spot where I had initially got drenched!
Ridiculous. Seems like the pattern quite regular/predictable. Should set up camera and video the act. Then send to the relevant authorities.
Last edited by Gary on Wed May 07, 2014 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
rlow

Post by rlow »

I realised that the Mars image I observed is very similar to the 20 Apr 2014 Mars image taken by DesertRat and posted on CN forum. In fact I also observed that Arsia Mons (closest to the limb) is slightly closer to Tharsis Montes (instead of equally spaced like Tharsis Montes to Ascraeus Mons), probably due to forshortening effect at the preceding limb.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/ ... /fpart/all
Richard Low
rlow

Post by rlow »

Its ok Gary, no harm was done...planetary view was still excellent!

I had to wash the mirror for the second time that night, as I just earlier washed it ten minutes before I brought the dob out for observation.
Richard Low
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Post by Mariner »

Yah man. Agree shoukd report the inconsiderate a**hole to authorities.
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

Great report on your obb session, RLow!

I hope to look through your scope and the Leica eyepiece at the planets. These days we can catch Jupiter, Mars and Saturn in one evening! How about another get together at Tiong Bahru Park. Or perhaps the large fields opposite Raffles Hospital (beside Victoria St) near Bugis MRT where there is ample parking space alongside the fields.

Good know you took the water drenching in your stride. I think most other people (prob me included) would have done a lot more....