Birth of new meteor shower or meteor storm on 23 May 2014

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
Sivakis
Favourite scope: Astrotech AT66ED APO

Re: Birth of new meteor shower or meteor storm on 23 May 201

Post by Sivakis »

Lol the Nasa feed was a total dud!

There are many unhappy feed-viewers!

nF
Administrator

Post by nF »

cloudy tonight, might even expect some rain if the clouds continue to gather
.___.
{O,o} O'RLY?
/)__)
-"-"-
DarthCryder
Favourite scope: Nikon 85mm/f1.4 lens

Post by DarthCryder »

Sivakis wrote:Lol the Nasa feed was a total dud!

There are many unhappy feed-viewers!

ya... after seeing so many comments, dampened my mood to pop over changi. i maybe have better chance for lightning at woodlands, hahahaha...
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

i think no one can predict how a new meteor shower will materialize bah ....
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
DarthCryder
Favourite scope: Nikon 85mm/f1.4 lens

Post by DarthCryder »

OT from title… im now on field shooting skyward. i think i saw 2 meteors pass by. 1 flew past Mar, n another near d big dipper
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

Remus and I, plus Sivakis and wife, held the 209P meteor watch last Sat evening at Changi Beach, from around 8.30pm to 11pm+.

We did not see any meteors. According to the Int'l Meteor Org (IMO), the highest rate reached was only about 20/h (ZHR). What a dud, considering all the lofty predictions!

Nevertheless, we had a fine time under the stars. I brought along my excellent Skywatcher 120mm ED refractor, mounted on a Vixen Porta Mount and Manfrotto tripod. A Rigel Quickfinder and a 8x50mm Takahashi finder were used.

We were surprised at the number of DSOs that could be seen well in the scope from Changi beach. Towards the later part of the evening, the skies were mostly clear and the constellation stars were bright, including those in the south over the airport (i.e. the Crux/Centaurus/Lupus region).

I did a quick test of the limiting magnitude. Looking at Corona Borealis over the sea in the NE, I could see mag 4.5 stars. I should think I would have seen mag 5.0 stars were it not for the nearby new bright lights at the playground. Changi beach is getting way too bright! NParks, pls reduce the local light pollution!

We had a fine time esp observing and comparing globular clusters. A 34mm eyepiece for 27x and 2.6 deg was mostly used. The views were very good, sharp and contrasty.

Objects were located by Remus and me the old-fashioned way, i.e. star hopping with star charts. The DSOs viewed included the following:

Globulars: M3, M4, M5, Omega Centauri, Ngc5286, ngc6441, M13, M22, M10 & M12.

Open Clusters: M7, ngc6231

Bright neb: M17 Swan neb, M8 Lagoon Neb

Galaxy: M104 Sombrero (faint)

Planetary: M57 Ring

Interestingly, the globular clusters Ngc5286 (in Cen) and Ngc6441 (in Sco) are very similar. Both are small (1 arc min diameter), fairly bright (mag 7) globulars, that are situated just beside a bright yellowish star. I call them the Siamese Twin Globulars. See for yourself!
CuriousOrion7
Favourite scope: celestron 80EQ

Post by CuriousOrion7 »

Hi everyone! Caught a meteor on Monday at abt 11pm at Changi beach.

Was there over the weekend to catch the camelopardalids meteor shower which was in vain though.

But fortunately got to catch one on my camera whilst doing long exposure photography of the stars during one of my regular stargazing sessions earlier this week.

Whilst i left my shutter open via remote, I happened to be doing smth else and something prompted me to look up in the sky and that's when I saw a reddish streak of light whizzing past. Being my very first time witnessing it live, I was surprised of course. And as an icing on the cake it was even captured on my dslr as earlier mentioned. After coming to my realisations, I quickly closed my shutter to view the shot.

(P.s kindly ignore the glare which is the light pollution from the walkway lights; the bottom right. Contrasted photo and they appeared even more apparent.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kochu
Favourite scope: Sharpstar-107PH Triplet.

Post by kochu »

Sivakis
Favourite scope: Astrotech AT66ED APO

Post by Sivakis »

starfinder wrote:Remus and I, plus Sivakis and wife, held the 209P meteor watch last Sat evening at Changi Beach, from around 8.30pm to 11pm+.

We did not see any meteors. According to the Int'l Meteor Org (IMO), the highest rate reached was only about 20/h (ZHR). What a dud, considering all the lofty predictions!

Nevertheless, we had a fine time under the stars. I brought along my excellent Skywatcher 120mm ED refractor, mounted on a Vixen Porta Mount and Manfrotto tripod. A Rigel Quickfinder and a 8x50mm Takahashi finder were used.

We were surprised at the number of DSOs that could be seen well in the scope from Changi beach. Towards the later part of the evening, the skies were mostly clear and the constellation stars were bright, including those in the south over the airport (i.e. the Crux/Centaurus/Lupus region).

I did a quick test of the limiting magnitude. Looking at Corona Borealis over the sea in the NE, I could see mag 4.5 stars. I should think I would have seen mag 5.0 stars were it not for the nearby new bright lights at the playground. Changi beach is getting way too bright! NParks, pls reduce the local light pollution!

We had a fine time esp observing and comparing globular clusters. A 34mm eyepiece for 27x and 2.6 deg was mostly used. The views were very good, sharp and contrasty.

Objects were located by Remus and me the old-fashioned way, i.e. star hopping with star charts. The DSOs viewed included the following:

Globulars: M3, M4, M5, Omega Centauri, Ngc5286, ngc6441, M13, M22, M10 & M12.

Open Clusters: M7, ngc6231

Bright neb: M17 Swan neb, M8 Lagoon Neb

Galaxy: M104 Sombrero (faint)

Planetary: M57 Ring

Interestingly, the globular clusters Ngc5286 (in Cen) and Ngc6441 (in Sco) are very similar. Both are small (1 arc min diameter), fairly bright (mag 7) globulars, that are situated just beside a bright yellowish star. I call them the Siamese Twin Globulars. See for yourself!
Was great to meet up with you, Starfinder and Remus! Yeah, what a letdown but at least my wife wasn't bored and she was happy to be able to see Jupiter + Saturn from your scope. Thanks!

I'm having some DSS issues atm so all those photos I took are sitting in the cold-storage for now.

Catch you guys again soon!

EDIT: DSS photo of Changi Beach CP1 (Yes, too much lights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) but feels a lot safer though.....

CuriousOrion7
Favourite scope: celestron 80EQ

Post by CuriousOrion7 »

wow. nice clear and crisp shot there! exposure time?ISO?