Birth of new meteor shower or meteor storm on 23 May 2014

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
starfinder

Re: Birth of new meteor shower or meteor storm on 23 May 201

Post by starfinder »

According to this article, at Figure 3, the Full-Width Half Maximum (FWHM) duration of the 209P meteor shower would be 0.4 days. I think it means that for 0.4 days (9.6 hrs total) before and after the predicted shower peak at around 3pm Singapore time (7 UTC), there would be at least 50% of the peak number of meteors, i.e. for approx 5 hrs before and 5 hrs after.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1311.0235
(click the link to the pdf doc at right)

That would mean that at 8pm Singapore time on Sat 24th May, there would still be 50% of the theoretical peak number of meteors (ZHR). But since the radiant would be very low near the horizon, we would have to discount off another 50%.

Nevertheless, 50% x 50% of 100, or 200, or 400 or 1000? meteors per hour is still quite a lot.
CuriousOrion7
Favourite scope: celestron 80EQ

Post by CuriousOrion7 »

Hi! I am quite an beginner in this field of astrophotography.
And I would love to see the meteor showers. Heard that there would be an overnight observation held at science centre but The lighting from Jcube is just too intense to get some nice long exposure photography I suppose.

Anyone here planning to go elsewhere for an overnight observation session? Punggol or Changi?
Sivakis
Favourite scope: Astrotech AT66ED APO

Post by Sivakis »

I'm tempted to try Bedok Reservoir this weekend, if weather and missus willing ;)
CuriousOrion7
Favourite scope: celestron 80EQ

Post by CuriousOrion7 »

Hi! I am quite a beginner in this field of astrophotography.
And I would love to see the meteor showers. Heard that there would be an overnight observation held at science centre but The lighting from Jcube is just too intense to get some nice long exposure photography I suppose.

Anyone here planning to go elsewhere for an overnight observation session? Punggol or Changi? Keep me updated and I will join you guys :-)
Mariner
Favourite scope: Non as of now

Post by Mariner »

CuriousOrion7 wrote:Hi! I am quite a beginner in this field of astrophotography.

Anyone here planning to go elsewhere for an overnight observation session? Punggol or Changi? Keep me updated and I will join you guys :-)
starfinder wrote:Best place in Singapore I think would be Changi Beach, in the vicinity of Carpark 1, as it has clear northern views to relatively darker skies.

Anyone interested for a meteor watch then at Changi Beach? Timing is good as it would be a Sat night. This could become a famous shower!
OCULARHOLIC ANONYMOUS!!!
Keep Calm and Carry on Observing.
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

Yes, if it's not clouded out this Sat night, I would head to Changi beach. Unless RLow manages to persuade me to go to Sedili instead!
rlow

Post by rlow »

starfinder wrote:Yes, if it's not clouded out this Sat night, I would head to Changi beach. Unless RLow manages to persuade me to go to Sedili instead!
Well Gavin, I would be non-committal to a plan at the moment. Weather isn't good these few evenings, so we should keep our fingers crossed. Depending on my work commitment, the weather and other factors, I may or may not observe. If I make an attempt to observe, it will definitely be at Sedili. There is a much better chance for detecting bountiful harvest of meteors there, compared to anywhere in S'pore. Based on previous anecdotal counts of Perseids and Orionids meteor showers recorded in Sedili versus S'pore, it can be a ratio of 5:1 or 10:1, or better. So I find it worth the extra effort to head out to Sedili, where we can have a good view of the northern sky over the South China Sea. For me, it may be a decision at the eleventh hour ie, Sat afternoon. Of course it will be definitely great to have fine companions like you along for this meteor watch. I will update you accordingly.

For those who wish to observe the meteors in Singapore, I would think the Changi site may be the best bet. Good luck and keep looking up!
Richard Low
sgnic

Post by sgnic »

Hi guys, if weather permits I will be joining you all at changi beach
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

People, do try to keep a lookout for the meteors on Friday night (tomrw) as well. Though Sat night would be much closer to the forecast peak time of 3pm Sat, there might be meteors on Fri night as well.

In fact, I'll try watching from my home area tonight.

If it's not cloudy.... IF.
kochu
Favourite scope: Sharpstar-107PH Triplet.

Post by kochu »

Brand New way of sighting meteor shower !!. Look at Moon's dark limb.

http://www.universetoday.com/112057/pot ... -moon-too/

Kochu/22-5-14