Any observation sessions in the East?

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
bobolee

Any observation sessions in the East?

Post by bobolee »

Hi Guys!

I've recently been really interested in astronomy. I'm slowly learning my way around the skies and am considering purchasing a first scope too.
But, before I do that, I'd like to attend more observation sessions and see how the masters do it.

Is there any active observation sessions in the east? Say, Pasir Ris, Tampines, Simei, Tanah Merah, Bedok, ECP kinda area?

Thanks! =)
mrthomasyip
Favourite scope: 12" london bridge

Re: Any observation sessions in the East?

Post by mrthomasyip »

Hi bobolee, welcome to the hobby. Do you drive? There is a big group guys going up msia for obbing this weekend so perhap this weekend not much obbing or public sidewalk going on locally. I might want to check it out sentosa island on sat night if you keen.
The Belief of Thomasology.
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

Hi bobolee, do u happen to stay at bedok? simetimes i go ecp coconut patch to observe or the open field at Bedok South near the school. ( weather & wife permitting)
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
munjalv

Post by munjalv »

Its a good thread.. we should find out any suitable observation site in the East and start regular observation sessions.
Folks in the East please pitch-in.
Regards,
Munjal
antares2063

Post by antares2063 »

chipped in before...bedok reservoir and ecp coconut patch are my usual "haunts" haha..
munjalv

Post by munjalv »

Yup Got ya! :)
Regards,
Munjal
bobolee

Post by bobolee »

Sorry Guys! I was on reservist for a while and it was a stay-in thing (hence no internet).
I stay in Simei, so Bedok and ECP is perfect for me.
I would love to join any one of your observing sessions so I can learn more. I just got my first scope and I'm enjoying myself so far (managed to see the delta aquarids in July, the Supermoon and more), but I'm dying to learn more from some Shi Fu. Especially since I'm taking a long time locating the fainter objects through my telescope as I can't see them with my naked eye. Currently I'm trying the star-hopping technique that I read online, but I always take ages to find something. =(

My email address is gabriel.lee.2011@law.smu.edu.sg. Please please give me a shout out if any of you are heading out and I'll join up if I've got time. =D
bobolee

Post by bobolee »

Oh Yea, so far, I do most of my own observations at the open field beside ITE East College. There's very little high-rise buildings (no HDB), but the only drawback is if there's a soccer match on, the floodlights will kill the mood and I have to wait for it to turn off. Another area I've tried is East Coast Park, nearer to Fort Road side. There's a pretty dark patch beside the forested area nearer to Fort Road exit. So far, this has been a good spot for me as it is really pretty dark. =)
antares2063

Post by antares2063 »

fort road side is area A right? seems hard to reach . i go blading there often but no bus around that area that i know of ...
bobolee

Post by bobolee »

Yea have to drive there if you wanna go there. That's the bad part =/