Sengkang Fernvale Obs Sessions

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
harlequin2902

Sengkang Fernvale Obs Sessions

Post by harlequin2902 »

Tuesday, 28 April 2015

Yet another cloudy night over my area in Fernvale, Sengkang. However, after closely monitoring the cloud cover, I noted that it started to clear up abit at around 2330. So I quickly setup my scope indoors again for the 3rd night running, this time in my living room where I have a wider view of the southern sky.

The two star alignment on my Nexstar 8 was completed very quickly with Alpha Centauri and Acrux. Even though the two alignment stars are quite close to each other and not at the optimum positions as recommended by Celestron for a more accurate setup, the GOTO was spot on this evening.

My first target was NGC 3532 (Wishing Well Cluster), an open cluster in Carina, thanks to Junwei's recommendation. I've become really rusty! Observed at 140x through a 9mm Nagler. A visually beautiful cluster. The different coloured stars in this cluster do resemble different coins scattered about in a wishing well / fountain. Those who have not seen this should try. Really beautiful.

The next target was NGC 3766 (Pearl Cluster), an open cluster in Centaurus. Again thanks to Junwei's recommendation! This is another visually beautiful cluster with over a dozen observable stars packed relatively close to each other. Somewhere in the middle of this cluster, you can see about 4 stars which appear in a relatively straight line.

Next, I visited an old favourite, NGC 4755 (Jewel Box) in Crux. Midway through observing it, the clouds came back and here I am writing this now.

I must say that I am pretty impressed with the Nexstar's tracking capability so far. In between writing this, I did go back to the scope to peer through the eyepiece and could still see the Jewel Box in the center of the FOV!

Here's my scope setup for observing through my living room window on the 20th floor. I am hoping for better weather soon so that I can bring my scope to the riverside park just a couple of LRT stations away. I believe this is just about the darkest site in my neighbourhood.. I will post an update here when that happens so that those in the area can feel free to join in too.

The sky looks a bit clearer now, so I'm going back to the scope :D

Cheers all.

Samuel Ng
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Re: Sengkang Fernvale Obs Sessions

Post by antares2063 »

Nice report Samuel...very happy to see that you had a "reboot" in this hobby ...Long weekend coming !

regards
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Glad to see you back in action, Samuel. I missed such sessions and long detailed reports too! Keep it up (don't limit to 6 mths only!) :p
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Wednesday, 29 April 2015

After the shower of blessing in many parts of Singapore in the late afternoon, I saw that the sky remained very clear when I was on my way home from work.

What greeted me at home delighted me even more. My 1.25" scope to camera adapter! I ordered this from CNC Supply about a week ago.

Without a moment to lose, I packed the Nexstar 8 and went to the Sengkang Riverside Park to try it out. It was still very clear but the moon all but washed out all hopes of a DSO buffet tonight :(

Here are my first attempts at capturing Jupiter and Saturn using my scope as a 4000mm lens for my Canon EOS M.

Y'know, after a few initial shots, I realised that I forgot to take my f6.3 focal reducer off... *duh*

And here's part of M44 the Beehive Cluster:

Samuel Ng
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Samuel, I am curious. How are you carrying your scope? [smilie=confused.gif]
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Airconvent wrote:Samuel, I am curious. How are you carrying your scope? [smilie=confused.gif]
Nexstar mount and Powertank in a normal backpack.

8" OTA in a medium sized luggage with eyepieces etc..

Tripod in hand.

:mryellow:
Samuel Ng
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Thursday, 30 April 2015

The skies are clear again as viewed from my house!

Here are 4 more shot through the Nexstar 8 with my Canon EOS M:

NGC 5139 Omega Centauri

NGC 4755 Jewel Box

NGC 3766 Pearl Cluster

NGC 3532 Wishing Well Cluster

(Junwei, I'm slowly getting seduced by the "dark side". Pull me back to the light side...quick... :mryellow: )
Samuel Ng
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Thursday, 30 April 2015

We were blessed with yet another clear evening over at Sengkang!

As my kids were back with me for the long weekend, I couldn't get the scope out of the house and so I setup in one of my rooms facing the south.

Given the very clear conditions, I tried to observe NGC 5128 Centaurus A Galaxy and NGC 5643 another Galaxy in Lupus. However, they were probably too faint to observe from where I was.

Undaunted, I turned my attention to two Planetary Nebulae located in Lupus, IC 4406 and NGC 5882 and was exhilarated with the results! I had never observed them before and was really thrilled to be able to see them.

IC 4406
This PN is the fainter of the two as it is larger. Observed with averted vision at 140x through the 9mm Nagler. You can almost make out a squarish/rectangular shaped faint fuzzy / smudge.

NGC 5882
This PN is brighter and can almost be observed with direct vision. At low magnification of about 50x, it appears like a blurry star that just won't come into focus. Pushing the magnification up to 140x reveals that this is indeed the target! it's still small, but you can almost makeout its roundish shape. Beautiful!

How I wish I had my filter with me!

The session ended with NGC 5460, an Open Cluster in Centaurus. This is an interesting looking OC, almost resembling a ?. An easy target. Do check it out and see if you observe the '?' pattern too.
Samuel Ng
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

I can only say : Great shots! :P and its awesome to have a flat with south facing windows...haha

Regards,
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

New addition, an inexpensive 80mm widefield refractor (a.k.a the little scope that could) for those lazy evenings when I don't feel like hauling the 8" SCT OTA in a suitcase out to the boardwalk at Sengkang Riverside Park.

GOTO-enabled! :mryellow:

Samuel Ng