Stars & Zodiacal Light: Mersing Trip report(15-17 May 2015)

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Stars & Zodiacal Light: Mersing Trip report(15-17 May 2015)

Post by antares2063 »

Here's a short trip report on the visual highlights of the trip, all the other trip attendees, do feel free to add on your posts and share your experiences :) Malcolm , maybe you can share your 30mm eyepiece shootout on Sombrero galaxy ;)

The trip started off on a wet note, as it rained the moment we crossed over to the JB customs checkpoint. The weather forecast for weather over at Mersing was a bit iffy too, but the rain finally stopped when we reached Mersing town.
After the usual makan at the KFC, we headed to the chalet, there the weather was hot and suuny, and the construction process began .

The Imagers :
Many…lots, too much to list, including 2 of the imaging setups that were from the Starfinder Society at KL.

The Visual observers
-Takahashi Mewlon 210 on Half Hitch Alt-az
-TAL100rs Achromat on CG4 non-motorised mount

The first night started off pretty well with the sky staying clear especially for the south direction . The second night started off even better, with the sky staying clear from 9pm or 10pm onwards all the way till dawn. There are too many targets that we viewed over the past 2 nights, hence I shall only list the ones that are deserving of special mention.

4945 , Centaurus galaxy, a few degrees away from the ever popular Omega Cent globular cluster, lies this object that was listed in my star chart. Even through the 8” mewlon, it was so faint and large that it almost merged into the colour of the sky in the eyepiece. The galaxy is cigar shaped and at the time of viewing there is a bright star at its 6’oclcok position to help “guide” our eyes to it.

5128, Centaurus A / Centaurus radio galaxy. The most famous of the well known galaxies in that region, maybe as well known as Southern Pinwheel galaxy (M83) . In the 4” refractor, It looked like a hamburger , with averted vision, the fat middle dust lane is visible.

5189, Planetary neb in Musca/Crux border. The trees at mersing were kind of blocking the south view, had to move my scope a few times to a suitable spot to locate it. Oddly shaped and spiral-looking like PN. Thanks Samuel for the suggestion!

6453 , globular cluster , Scorpius. For years this object has bugged me. It’s a globular cluster located in the line of sight of M7. We managed to find it like on the outer 30 % rim of the cluster. It was like the palest and faintest globular I’ve ever seen, as if the globular cluster decided not to shine and wanted to be a faint planetary nebula instead.

6144 , globular cluster. Its close proximity to Antares makes it easy to miss . With careful positioning it can be framed with M4 and Antares in the same FOV. Faint but not as faint as 6453. Imagers capturing the Rho Ophiucius region will always capture this mini globular.

4038 + 4039, Antennae galaxies, Corvus/Crater border. This target appeared as a heart shape , or like two doughnuts leaning on each other. Faint! needs averted vision

6522 + 6528 . Two globular clusters near Alnasl (gamma Sagittarii) One appears brighter than the other.

6397, globular cluster , Ara. Alvin decribed it as a GC with irregular shape and some brighter stars froming arms like a spiral, very apt description.

6992 + 6960 , Veil nebula loops, Cygnus. we tried on first night but the sky wasn’t good enough, thankfully on 2nd night we bagged this target using the 4” refarctor and UHC filter. The smiling loop seems brighter than the witch’s broom .

7293 aka Helix nebula, Aquarius. I know its big, Ive viewed it before in the past, but starhopping to it is a pain. Looks better with either UHC or OIII filter.

The Sunday morning dawn brought an unexpected surprise, Zodiacal light, (just like the August 2014 trip ). The light cone slants upwards and to the right towards Aquarius. This makes it the second time ever some of us have seen this phenomenon at Mersing. After that when the sun rose, there were some extensive crepuscular rays.

Some images to share :

First major "first light" of the TAL

Setting up

Solar Observation

Sunday Dawn

3shot- Panorama of Miky way tompanging on Guohui's Vixen polarie, thanks !

Regards,
Junwei
Last edited by antares2063 on Wed May 20, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
Great Red Spot
Favourite scope: Newtonian

Re: Stars & Zodiacal Light: Mersing Trip report(15-17 May 20

Post by Great Red Spot »

Thanks, Junwei, for the excellent write up and great pictures. This is a very fruitful trip indeed. Sky was so good, allowing us to nail many objects that we did not see before.

After the March Mersing trip, where I got frustrated with the goto performance of the Ioptron ZEQ25 (with basic alignment), I decided to go full manual mode. This time I went with a Takahashi Mewlon 210 mounted on a Half Hitch FTX. A no fuss set-up - requiring only minutes to set up and keep. Of course, special thanks to Junwei for teaching me how to star hop. Absolutely fun and I saw no less things than when I was relying on (a poor) goto mount. Most of the observation was done using a Pentax XW40 at 60x, only occasionally switching to the XW30 for 80x and to the Leica ASPH Zoom (+AP Barcon) for high power (up to 680x).

Among the notable highlights for me include:

Leo Triplet - Initially I only saw two of the galaxies, which were quite prominent. Later I found the third one lying just outside the original field of view.

Dumbbell Nebula - The shape was very distinct and it was really huge and bright! At only 60x it filled a signification portion of my field of view.

Swan/Omega Nebula - Swan was so bright and distinctively shaped even without any filters. In Singapore, I couldn't even detect that it is there unless I use filters :(

Omega Centauri - The core was so well resolved and appears to show different layers, almost 3D-like! With some concentration I felt I was looking "into" it!

Eta Carina - With filter, the nebulous areas show distinct shadings. The dark lanes are also very prominent.

Sombrero Galaxy - A long fuzzy patch. I could barely make out the dark lane but with averted vision I could be sure it was there.

Saturn - I looked at saturn between 270x to 680x. The hexagonal pole was visible, appearing as a dark patch. I can't remember if the Encke division was visible, but I remember seeing the Encke Minima.

Looking forward to the next trip!

Alvin

antares2063

Post by antares2063 »

Alvin: Yup agreed fruitful !

Sharing some more pics of the trip .

1) the Zodiacal light - credits to Guo Hui. Square of Pegasus and Andromeda Galaxy to the left.

2) Milky Way overhead - credits to Guo Hui

3) Candid shot - credits to Alvin

Regards,
Junwei
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Great Reports, guys... Nice image of the Zodiacal lights and Andromeda too! I may have seen it in Mersing before but not realised it too. Is there another Mersing trip coming? :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
antares2063

Post by antares2063 »

Thanks Richard, have dropped you a PM

regards,
Junwei
antares2063

Post by antares2063 »

Sharing some pics here, all taken during the mersing trip with Nikon D7200 +180mm lens on Vixen polarie. All credits go to Guohui for his shots!

4) Antares , rho Ophiuchus region

5) Trifid and Lagoon nebula

regards,
Junwei