ASTRONOMY2017 - here in Singapore once again!

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
rcj
Vendor

ASTRONOMY2017 - here in Singapore once again!

Post by rcj »

Hi all,

Am proud to announce that we will be having a national event opened to everyone in the local astronomy community, public and beyond in Singapore next year. The exact date is not confirmed, but it will be held the later part of 2016. The location would be held in the central part of the island. It took months of talk and convincing, and finally we can hold an astronomy event in this centralised location that almost everyone living in Singapore is familiar with. I have chatted with the programme and facility directors directly and they are extremely enthusiastic to host this event together with us (volunteers). For those of you who are probably aware, this is not the first time that we have such an event, the last was back in 2008 (ASTRONOMY2008) held at the Singapore Art Museum Glass House. Well, it is going to be slightly different next year. Yes, there will be stargazing, possibly solar sessions as well, but it will also be an event to showcase the creativity of astronomy-based projects from individuals/institutions/organisational bodies, astrophotography gallery, and more.

But like the events that we have had in the past (CP2015, A2008, EF, etc) we will certainly welcome volunteers from the community. At this juncture, we do not have specific roles defined for volunteering yet, but I have started a facebook group to provide updates and statuses. If you are keen, please drop me a PM and I can help add you in and you will be kept in the know and in the loop.

In short, it should be an exciting year ahead for astronomy in 2017!

Till then, let's hope the haze will clear soon! Cheers.
Last edited by rcj on Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: ASTRONOMY2016 - here in Singapore once again!

Post by Airconvent »

That's great Remus! I should be able to be there with a scope if that's part of the programme but can only confirm closer to the date. But looking as how the haze may be a more frequent affair, would be good to have it BEFORE July 2016!
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Jeremy

Re: ASTRONOMY2016 - here in Singapore once again!

Post by Jeremy »

Excellent news, Remus. I wish I could join you all!

Go well!
Jeremy
rcj
Vendor

Re: ASTRONOMY2017 - here in Singapore once again!

Post by rcj »

Update: this event will finally be taking place in MBS but will be in Feb 2017. will start a new thread in this section to give more details and statuses.
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits