Rainbows galore: Mersing Trip report Dec11-13 2015

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Rainbows galore: Mersing Trip report Dec11-13 2015

Post by antares2063 »

Tired of being a SK warrior at work and also the long haze which thankfully ended, I signed up for the Dec trip when it was open for registration. As usual , the main group met up at Kranji MRT station and we departed Singapore headed to Mersing town for a quick lunch and then to the chalet for stargazing. Upon reaching the chalet there was a increased sense of optimism as the sky was opening up and blue patches can be seen.

A brief summary of the equipment :

The Astrophotographers / Imagers

- Astrophysics 130 Starfire refractor on Paramount MX
- Borg 60 ED
- Skyrover 70 Apo refractor on Astrophysics Mach 1 GTO
- Hasselblad 350fl lens + Canon 650D
- Canon 760D + Vixen Polarie
- Unitec SWAT (single way axis tracker) 200 + Canon 6D

The Observers / Visuals

- Celestron 8 SCT on Nexstar mount
- Zingaro 6 Portable Newtonian on Astroslew Mk1 Alt Az (with improved saddle clamp thanks to Alvin)
- Borg 89ED on Half Hitch FTQ Alt Az

We saw a segment of a rainbow first appearing on the left side of the sky then on the right side. And many people rushed to take photos. After dinner, some bright stars slowly started appearing and the sky was off to a promising start!

Some notable objects we saw :

NGC 1365, part of the Fornax Galaxy Cluster (1380, 1381, 1399, 1379, 1404, 1389, 1386, 1387, 1365, 1379 ) lying on the border of Fornax and Eridanus.
This object was a bit of a challenge and it has eluded me since AUg trip , somehow the south sky was very good and i knew i had to give it a shot again that night. After starhopping from a
trapezium asterism made up of Upsilon 1, Upsilon 2, Upsilon 3 , Upsilon 4 Eridanae. I scanned the area with a low power eyepiece (24x magnification on my scope) and spotted 2 fuzzy round patches and to my eye there seem to be 1 or 2 more on the verge of being seen. Perhaps in future this is an interesting targets for Dobsonian owners. According to other online forums, a 12 inch dob can reveal up to as many as 6-8 galaxies in one FOV.

NGC 253, Silver Dollar Galaxy in Sculptor, near the South Galactic Pole.
This is an amazing target , even a small scope can show this bright galaxy as a thick vertical "brush stroke" amongst stars. A faint hint of a dust lane can be seen. Easy to locate, not as big as M31 in apparent size but still striking in appearance. Also in the refractor, ALvin pointed out the nearby Globular cluster NGC 288 in the same field. Its not very often one can find a chance alignment of a galaxy and a globular in one fov :)

NGC 247, Needle Eye Galaxy in Cetus
A fainter galaxy than the one mentioned above, the surface brightness is low but the ovalish outline of the galaxy can be traced out when one stares at it long enough. This galaxy is also interesting as it has a fairly bright star superimposed onto it at one tip of the oval. This gives it the "illusion" of a supernova occuring in this galaxy. averted vision recommended.

Other targets we saw on the first night include:

NGC 55 , NGC 246 (skull nebula), M1 Crab Nebula, M45 Pleiades, M41 , M46 and M47 (46 i cant see in Singapore from my window, tried countless times), M31, M33 Triangulum galaxy, the Famous Leo Triplet of Galaxies, M81 and 82 [Bode's Nebula (galaxy) plus companion], Hind's Crimson star (a very reddish carbon star) and Winter Albireo.

However for this trip we were also hoping to catch a glance of the solar system visitor : Comet Catalina C/2013 US10 . Unfortunately, the skies at pre dawn on both days were clouded over and drizzling hence it was missed.

Sporadic and/or possible Geminids meteor count : collectively about 10 on first night , 0 on second night due to bad weather

Here are some candid photos :

1) Setting off from Kranji!

2) Zingaro deployment

3) Sundog spotted!

4) partial rainbow on the first day

5) Remus chilling with his setup

6) Part of the Double Rainbow on second day (havent have time to combine the entire arch)

7) Light drawing with lightning on the far horizon

8) Group photo :)

Once again, many thanks to Remus for organising the trip and the long chats of astro-gear talk (and poisoning) on the 2nd night when it was raining, looking forward to the next trip to try catching the Comet again!

Regards
Junwei
Last edited by antares2063 on Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Rainbows galore: Mersing Trip report Dec11-13 2015

Post by Airconvent »

Looks like a good trip! Nice report Junwei!
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Great Red Spot
Favourite scope: Newtonian

Post by Great Red Spot »

Thanks Jun Wei, for the excellent write up. And thanks to Remus again for organising the trip.

This trip I managed to test how a 90mm refractor performs on DSOs. Managed to see most of the objects Jun Wei listed. Most memorable objects include M1 (Crab Nebula), NGC253 (Galaxy + Globular in 1 fov), Leo Triplet (all 3 in 1 fov), Bode's Nebula, etc.

Since the weather seems 50/50, I decided to travel light. Here is the list of my equipment:

Telescope: Borg 89ED
Tripod & Mount: Half Hitch FTQ, 8-inch pier, Berlebach Report 112
Optical accessories: Leica ASPH Zoom 8.9 to 17.8mm, Pentax XW30, Astrophysics Convertible Barlow, Baader Zeiss prism diagonal, Lumicon UHC & OIII filters
Binoculars: Nikon Monarch 7 8x42

The tripod and pier fit into the tripod bag. Others, including clothing, fit into a hiking bag. For once I have one hand free :)

Pics of my portable setup :)

antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

Thanks Richard and Alvin :)

Nice pic of the Borg refractor under the rainbow !

Here's to more clear skies in the coming year.

Regards
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight