22-Inch Dob Observation Session at Sedili - 9 Jan 2016

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
rlow

Post by rlow »

Last Saturday I drove up to Tanjung Sutera Resort for an overnight observation session with my better half and Kochu.

For those who wondered if that location is still alright for visual astronomy, the answer is yes. Although there are a few more new lights in the whole resort, our usual observation ground (next to the fish tank building) is still generally shielded off from the lights, and you can request the staff to switch off some lights, which we did. There is also another darker but remote site within the resort which is right next to the Cliffside, but our usual site is good enough and more conveniently located.

At first the sky was overcast and not too promising. After dinner, we looked up and saw that the stars were shining brightly! Much of the clouds was gone, with some fast-moving scattered clouds. There was a constant breeze so it was cooling the whole night. And no mosquitoes around, so it was quite conducive for observing.

The 22-inch dob is already set up before dark, so it was not too difficult to just do the routine collimation with help from my better half, and we are set to observe. We had invited some of the resort guests and staff to join us, and they were astounded at their first look at the Orion Nebula. It was quite an awesome view seeing the whole Orion Nebula well-framed at 87x filling up the superwide 88 degrees AFOV in the Leitz 30mm eyepiece. The nebula was very bright, almost like looking at the full moon except within the blinding pain in the eye. The image is sharp and in high contrast, and we can make out faint swirls of nebulosity. Even Kochu can detect the bluish-green hue in the brighter part of the nebulosity, and this is surrounded by pinkish red hues on the outer parts of the nebula.

We also enjoyed observing with three binoculars that we brought. Kochu enjoyed his Nikon 10x42 roofs but he said his enjoyment was spoilt after he looked through the Canon IS 12x36, and then the Canon IS 18x50. We both were especially awed by the wide-field high-contrast flat-field views through the 18x50. The Crab Nebula was bright and prominent, easy to spot in this binocular.

The sky worsen towards the later part of the night, it got more hazy, then more clouds came until it became overcast. We called it a night after 2am. We woke up at 5:30am for the Comet Catalina but sky was still bad. Nevertheless, we look forward to more Sedili trips this year. All are welcome to drive up and join us observing through the 22-inch dob under dark skies.

Some photos coming right up...
Last edited by rlow on Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Richard Low
rlow

Re: 9 Jan 2016 - Observation at Sedili

Post by rlow »

I forgot to bring the dedicated dob raincoat so we improvised an inadequate makeshift cover before dinner.

Observing at-height with the 22-inch dob
Richard Low
rlow

Re: 9 Jan 2016 - Observation at Sedili

Post by rlow »

Kochu posing with the 22-inch dob

Transport, set-up & disassembly of 22-inch dob can be a one-person job, but easier done by two person
Richard Low
kochu
Favourite scope: Sharpstar-107PH Triplet.

Re: Observation Session at Sedili - 9 Jan 2016

Post by kochu »

Thanks Richard for the trip.

Views through the Giant DOB is really awesome [smilie=admire.gif] [smilie=admire.gif] [smilie=admire.gif]

Kochu
KKK26
Favourite scope: All nice scopes

Post by KKK26 »

wow... big gun.. still haven't got chance to 'taste' :mryellow:
rlow

Post by rlow »

Big "thank you" to Kochu for his help last weekend.

Koko and all, you are welcome to join me observe through the 22 inch dob at Sedili. I can only take two passengers though, as the 22 inch dob and stuff takes up the rest of the car space. My 15 inch dob allows me to take 4 to 5 passengers in my car, quite a big difference.
Richard Low
KKK26
Favourite scope: All nice scopes

Post by KKK26 »

thanks Richard :)
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Richard Low,
Nice trip. I don't recall having the chance to look through your scope yet! During the Outreach programmes, too many people..
With COE coming down, maybe can consider buying an even bigger vehicle! :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Mibmom
Favourite scope: Celestron Nexstar 6SE

Post by Mibmom »

Wow the sky looks awesome.
Truly impressive telescope
Take me out to the black
Tell them I ain't comin' back
Burn the land and boil the sea
You can't take the sky from me
~ Serenity
rlow

next Overnight Observation Session at Sedili - 12 Mar 2016

Post by rlow »

Hi folks

we will be going for our next Overnight Observation Session at Sedili Besar, Malaysia on this Sat 12 Mar 2016. This is our 4th overnight trip for 2016. As usual, we are staying at Tanjung Sutera Resort.

People usually ask me these questions, so I will give the answers here:

1. The resort has catered to our night-vision requirement for minimal night-time illumination around our observation site. So we are able to get the lights switched off or dimmed minimally at fish tank building, the staff quarters, the chalet balcony, the footpath lamps.

2. Standard twin-sharing/queen/king rooms are $159 ringgit, and the poolside dinner is relatively inexpensive, $5 rinngit for fried rice, or fried noodles or 2 pieces of fried chicken wings. We can also enjoy the cliff-side panoramic view of the South China Sea during dinner.

All are welcome to join us there, and to share using my telescopes. Do drop me a PM or SMS if you plan to join me or drive there yourself. The drive to the resort is usually about 1.5hrs to 2 hrs from the JB causeway. I usually have space in my car for 1-3 more passengers.

Kindly note that you have to arrange your room booking via email directly to Mr Ahmed, owner of the resort, at this email address: tanjungsutera@gmail.com
Richard Low