Supernova in NGC6946 (Cygnus-Cephus)

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
starfinder

Supernova in NGC6946 (Cygnus-Cephus)

Post by starfinder »

As reported recently, there's a supernova in NGC 6946 (the Fireworks Galaxy) which is on the Cygnus-Cephus border.

SN 2017eaw is a Type II-P supernova, and was discovered on 14 May 2017. The supernova and its host galaxy are 22 million light years from Earth.

News here: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronom ... -ngc-6946/

I managed to image the supernova from my home this morning at 6.01am, right here in Singapore city. NGC 6946 was then 31 degrees above the northern horizon, at around mag 12.5. The supernova was then a few days before projected peak brightness.

Here is the image. The host galaxy can't be seen as it's washed out by urban light pollution. Every other star in the image is a local Milky Way star.

I might attempt to view it in the eyepiece, though at mag 12.5 it's not going to be easy.

Image details: Meade LX-90 8"SCT at f/10 (fl = 2000mm) with Sony A7s (single shot at 6s ISO 25600).

Last edited by starfinder on Sun May 21, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geyes30

Re: Supernova in NGC6946 (Cygnus-Cephus)

Post by geyes30 »

Hi,

Can't see the attachment for some reason, but I was looking forward to the live stream from Europe of the supernova two days ago, but they were clouded out. Great that you managed to see it!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi Gavin
The link you attached is way too long to be for an image link. Do check again.
In anycase, kudos for your enthusiasm in find and photographing these objects. Looks like you have achieved your LX90's ROI may times over!
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

Hi geyes30, Rich,

Thanks! The link worked on my PC and Android phone. Nevertheless, I've changed the image host website, and now it has a much shorter link. Hope you can view the image now.

Yup, the LX-90 is 16 yrs old and still working v well!

Hope to image the supernova again in a few weeks' time, after it has faded somewhat, to see the difference. Others are certainly welcome to post their images and observation notes here!

Apparently, a supernova that brightens to mag 12+ is not common, so this one is somewhat special. Think it's bec the host galaxy is relatively nearby, though I read somewhere that Type II supernovae like this one (core collapse) are usually not as intrinsically bright as Type Ia supernovae (white dwarfs accreting to 1.4 solar masses and exploding).

Anyway, this supernova (SN 2017eaw) makes a record. It's the 10th supernova ever observed in NGC6946 in history. That's more supernovae than in any other galaxy.
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

No wonder the name fits...bring on the fireworks!
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight