Multi-storey car parks and roof tops!

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
aquacocoa85

Multi-storey car parks and roof tops!

Post by aquacocoa85 »

Hey people,

Kinda occured to me that top levels of multi-storey car parks make pretty good observation sites. Although some may be gently lighted, nice concrete floor makes it rather pleasant. The other place that i thought seemed quite good was rooftop access to buildings. Trying to get some on my condo so that i can go up there and take a look but even from the staircase well, at 10 floors, the views are rather stunning. Any one has comments on these two places? Just thought that these two places are rather accessible so makes viewing more convenient. I'm just a beginner so my judgement may be wrong. :wink:

Any Comments?

Aq85
kcy
Location: Some where in space...some where in the evolution of time...

Post by kcy »

It may be good...

But take note that multi storey car parks then to be located near HDB blocks. This gives heavy light pollution. To judge whether the selected location is good see whether the sky is 'dark'..not very bright or something.
Yours Sincerly,

Kong Chong Yew 8)
SP astronomers
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Since I normally observe alone, accessibility and safety is my primary concern. Unless looking at very dim object, I think multi-storey car park is very convenient, since most of people won't park their car at the top of the multi-storey car park and also very clean. Of course, you need to found one that can view a large part of the sky and as dark as possible... :)

I don't recommend people to go to root top to observe... since it is quite dangerous (lightning and etc) and don't wish any of our members get into trouble with police or government officials...
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

I don't recommend people to go to root top to observe... since it is quite dangerous (lightning and etc) and don't wish any of our members get into trouble with police or government officials...
that's true..but having said that, I always do it at the rooftop. At 19th storey, the skies were unbelievable, leaving all the lights below.

But I wouldn't advise people doing this at mature estates. If you want to do it, find new estates like Punggol where there are very few people in the blocks. Anyway, rooftop access is always close for mature estates, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Also, checked for weather if you want to go up. Lighting is one problem. But normally if the sky is clear and cloudless, there is a very minimum chance of lighting.

But if possible, don't do it.
aquacocoa85

Post by aquacocoa85 »

Hey vin, ur 19th storey is the top storey or the roof? I'm thinking of all different ways to get my management to gif me the keys to access my rooftop.

I need some clarification on this. Is it the sky's darkness that matters or its ambient environment light that matters for a gd location? Or both?

Aq85
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

Darn, that ruins my chance of 'gaining access' to my rooftop since my area is quite storm-prone.

Charlie
The gentle light of a distant galaxy
must needs pour into mine eye.
Or i shall with bent and turned,
fall me down, distraught..To die.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

aquacocoa85 wrote:Hey vin, ur 19th storey is the top storey or the roof? I'm thinking of all different ways to get my management to gif me the keys to access my rooftop.

I need some clarification on this. Is it the sky's darkness that matters or its ambient environment light that matters for a gd location? Or both?

Aq85
it's both.

the 19th storey is the rooftop.
aquacocoa85

Post by aquacocoa85 »

how did u get up there? Is u'rs a condo or what? No doors or sumthing to prevent access??

Aq85
kcy
Location: Some where in space...some where in the evolution of time...

Post by kcy »

VinSnr,

Anytime soon we can visit ya obeservation ground? :wink:
Yours Sincerly,

Kong Chong Yew 8)
SP astronomers
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

aquacocoa85 wrote:how did u get up there? Is u'rs a condo or what? No doors or sumthing to prevent access??

Aq85
got door...no lock.