Newbie Observation Report @ Sengkang

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
rifleman175
Favourite scope: Skywatcher Esprit 100ED

Newbie Observation Report @ Sengkang

Post by rifleman175 »

Hi everyone, a newbie astronomer here! Just recently picked up the stargazing hobby and got myself an entry level 102 mm F/6.5 Celestron refractor.

I have been doing my first few observations from my house at Sengkang area. So far managed to spot the brighter planets (Mars, Jupiter and Saturn) and managed to resolve some features at 198x magnification. So far for planets, the most interesting was Jupiter with its cloud bands and four Galilean moons; as well as Saturn with its gorgeous ring system, even though I could only make out the more prominent Cassini Division at high mag.

After the planets, I went on to do some general sky hopping in the southern celestial hemisphere as the south was less obstructed for my location. Managed to take a few images of the constellation of Sagittarius and Scorpius on my phone, which was quite interesting for me.

The most rewarding experience thus far was the moment when I spotted Messier 7 through my 25 mm eyepiece, the multitude of stars in the foreground and the countless stars in the Milky Way in the background was simply... it made me speechless and takes my breath away whenever I think of it.

That's all for my report, will continue to share more in the future! :D