SJAA Public Star Party

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

SJAA Public Star Party

Post by acc »

Attended the San Jose Public Star Party last Sat. The event was held at Coyote Reservoir, which is about 1 hour drive from Silicon Valley. The sky is fairly dark, with the milk way easily visible.

For the first time, I saw the spiral structure of the Whirlpool without using averted vision on my dob. This same galaxy through an 18" Obsession was spine-tingling.

Left the place about 1am, and it was a bit unnerving driving through the country roads and hoping my car doesn't break down!

cheers
cc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

Hi CC,

How does it compare with Mersing?

Kay Heem
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Mersing at its best is better. Coyote has a large light dome in the south extending to 30 deg alt, and the Milky Way is slightly washed out over its entire span. The huge advantage of Coyote is that clear skies occur much more frequently.
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

I was at San Jose for 6 mths during my Industrial Attachment. The skies are usually blue ( I mean real blue.. no clouds at all) during summer.The night sky is more or less guaranteed to be good unlike in South East Asia where the sky is very unpredictable. I usually go to Mt. Hamilton (where the Lick Observatory is) for observation. The milky way can be seen but it is not also that clear (as San Jose city is rather well lit) but the chance of having observable skies is much higher than in tropical places like Mersing. It is rather fun driving up and down the mountain at night.. sort of like Initial D feeling.
AstroDuck