Partial eclipse of the Moon on Monday

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
starfinder

Partial eclipse of the Moon on Monday

Post by starfinder »

There will be a partial eclipse of the Moon this Monday, 17th October. It should be visible from Singapore.

Mid-eclipse will be at 8.03pm, when the Moon will be just 17 degrees above the horizon in the east.

However, this will be a slight eclipse only, as at most, only 7% of the Moon will enter the Earth's umbra (darkest part of shadow). Still, the whole Moon will be in the penumbra.

Read more about it here:
http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/ob ... 1596_1.asp

Let's try to view and photograph the event! I remember viewing a total Lunar Eclipse in Singapore at Eunos about 4 or 5 years ago.

BTW, I suppose mid-eclipse must mean the actual moment of Full Moon, just as the mid-point of a Total Solar Eclipse marks the moment of a New Moon, i.e. a conjunction. Am I right?

Also, would it be correct to say that when it's a Full Moon, the Moon is in Opposition? Then, it is visible all night long as it rises when the sun sets.
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

To come to think of it, a Total Solar Eclipse is actually an Occultation of a star by the humble Moon. It so happens that it's no ordinary star for Earthlings, so it's a very special Occultation.

In fact, to further import terminology from elsewhere, a solar eclipse may correctly be compared with or referred to as a Transit of the Moon, just like transits of Venus and Mercury. Only 3 bodies, the Moon, Venus and Mercury are (or may be) Inferior to the Earth (plus comets and asteroids). Of course, the Moon is Superior during Full Moon, for example, and at greatest Elongation during 1st and Last Quarters.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Last edited by starfinder on Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Also, would it be correct to say that when it's a Full Moon, the Moon is in Opposition? Then, it is visible all night long as it rises when the sun sets.
I think we may not be able to see the actual eclipse at all... according to the two software that I'm using, the moon will rise at 18:46 Singapore Time on 17 Oct 2005, so the actual eclipse is already end when the moon rise. :( :(

Have a nice day
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

weixing wrote: I think we may not be able to see the actual eclipse at all... according to the two software that I'm using, the moon will rise at 18:46 Singapore Time on 17 Oct 2005, so the actual eclipse is already end when the moon rise. :( :(

According to the Sky & Telescope article, mid-eclipse will be at 1203UT, which is 8:03pm Singapore time. The Moon rises at about 6:44pm in the east, and is still climbing up as at 8:03pm. So it should be visible from S'pore. Correct?
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

if the sky is clear.... almost forgot what one looks like already :k-sad:
weixing
Super Moderator
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
According to the Sky & Telescope article, mid-eclipse will be at 1203UT, which is 8:03pm Singapore time. The Moon rises at about 6:44pm in the east, and is still climbing up as at 8:03pm. So it should be visible from S'pore. Correct?
Oops!!! Yes... correct... my mistake!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
I wonder why I can write down "moon rise at 18:46" while I know that the eclipse is at 20:03... :?: :?: Some stamps must be on my eyes or my brain is sleeping while checking the data... cloudy night make me sleepy... ha ha ha =P =P

Anyway, just hope the weather will be clear on that day!!

Have a nice day.

PS: This remind me of a documentary about what your eye see doesn't mean that is what your brain will "see". I've just proven the documentary is correct!! Ha ha ha!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
siahheng

Post by siahheng »

Hi, I am sure starfinder has already mentioned that it only 7% eclipse. Looking at some software projections, the umbra will barely touch the southern pole. The eclipse looks to be minimal only...(assuming software is accurate)

[web]http://www.singastro.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=429[/web]

thanks starfinder

siahheng
starfinder

Photo of eclipse

Post by starfinder »

I saw and photographed the partial eclipse earlier this evening.

The sky was hazy and partly cloudy during the eclipse, which was from around 7.30pm to 8.30pm, with mid eclipse at 8.03pm. Fortunately, it was sufficiently clear to view and photograph the event.

Here is a photo taken during mid eclipse (zoom lens at 300mm lens, DLSR).

Despite the fact that only 7% of the Moon entered the Earth's umbra, the eclipse was surprisingly pronounced and obvious. A very visible slice of the Moon was missing at the bottom right corner, near the crater Tycho. I almost felt sorry for the Moon, seeing that it was being "eaten" by our planet. I thought I heard some pots and pans being banged in the distance. My mum tells me that in the old days during a lunar eclipse, you'd hear a lot of pots being banged to scare away whatever was eating the Moon! Yup, here in Singapore.

During mid-eclipse, perhaps partly due to the haze, I could not see the edge of the Moon that was eclipsed. Now I'm glad to see the Moon is again healthy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
WOW!! That's was very obvious... :shock:

Anyway, I was too lazy to go out after seeing the moon behind the clouds when I come back from jogging... hee hee hee :P

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

As for me, I was busy having my dinner and forgot about it. Heh..
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]