Dark sites on the island

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
hhzhang
Favourite scope: 115mm APO

Dark sites on the island

Post by hhzhang »

Visit https://www.lightpollutionmap.info and feel....

There are two sites that might be relatively darker.

1. Near the Changi Exhibition Center. There is a huge parking space n open field. Go further towards the shore and away from the road. The North sky is quite dark.

Unfortunately it is closed. I only stopped there once on my cycling ride, for a while to admire the shining big dipper, before long some officer checked on me.

If I would have the privilege to name a site for science centre obervatory, this place will be on the top.

69 Jalan Bahtera (off Lim Chu Kang Road), Singapore719920

A remote and deserted place. Only been there twice during day time. Any one did stargazing there?

This place is served by a terrible upaved path. :(
celeron787

Re: Dark sites on the island

Post by celeron787 »

I have a few areas in mind but have not tried any of them. All are located in west area. Most are generally shooting towards central catchment area.
1. Jurong lake gardens
2. Big open field near dairy farm rock climbing wall
3. Observation tower at chestnut nature park
4. Open field along dairy farm road
hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

celeron787 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:50 pm I have a few areas in mind but have not tried any of them. All are located in west area. Most are generally shooting towards central catchment area.
1. Jurong lake gardens
2. Big open field near dairy farm rock climbing wall
3. Observation tower at chestnut nature park
4. Open field along dairy farm road
The central catchment area looks still very much light-polluted according to Lightollutionmap.info. Bortle class 8-9

Changi Point looks relatively darker on the map (Bortle class 7). In reality, only the northern and the eastern directions are OK.

On the map the best place on the island would be at the tip of the northern end of the man-made Changi bay, reaching Bortle 5 -- but that's 2015. And it's not open to the public.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Recently while cycling I discovered one good site between an LRT station and Punggol Seventeenth Ave. The parking is free along the road and the site is relatively dark. Except for the surrounding trees, the sky is wide open. :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
neoterryjoe
Favourite scope: c5

Post by neoterryjoe »

Hi,
For those staying around sengkang, the huge field between the IMH and sengkang LRT depot is a good spot.
byang

Post by byang »

hhzhang wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:00 pm Visit https://www.lightpollutionmap.info and feel....

There are two sites that might be relatively darker.

1. Near the Changi Exhibition Center. There is a huge parking space n open field. Go further towards the shore and away from the road. The North sky is quite dark.

Unfortunately it is closed. I only stopped there once on my cycling ride, for a while to admire the shining big dipper, before long some officer checked on me.

If I would have the privilege to name a site for science centre obervatory, this place will be on the top.

69 Jalan Bahtera (off Lim Chu Kang Road), Singapore719920

A remote and deserted place. Only been there twice during day time. Any one did stargazing there?

This place is served by a terrible upaved path. :(
Many years ago while I was a member of the Astro Club in my JC, we had an Astro Camp with a few other JC at the Sarimbun Scout Camp (opp the site 2 you mentioned). Sky was dark (compared to other places in Spore then) and some of our members managed to take shots of some DSO using the equipment from our school. Can't remember where I kept those photos. During those days we used film camera, so if they have not been scanned into computer files then the physical photos were the only records.
rifleman175
Favourite scope: Skywatcher Esprit 100ED

Post by rifleman175 »

The Lorong Halus Bridge area has relatively darker skies near Sengkang/Punggol and clear unobstructed views towards the South, although the light dome from the CBD does bring in a lot of light pollution. The northern skies have more obstructions especially with all the condominium construction work going on, but it is darker.
hhzhang

Post by hhzhang »

Some Punggol HDB rooftop provides virtually unblocked views of the night sky. Not as dark as desired, but definitely better than the city and many towns.