Next Star Gazing Session

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Hmm.. how come last few obs sessions attracted the police/security?
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
astrobabe

Post by astrobabe »

Airconvent wrote:Looks like you all had a great time. I only hope the group photo was not taken at the site 'cos that street light looks bright!
And I only recognised some faces meaning the rest are "new" Singastroians?
:lol: Do write a report on how the night went. I am particularly inteested in how it compares to Mersing, how convenient is it to go there and is it as remote?

rich
There were darker sites but I had to locate a site which wasn't muddy
(cos of the rain earlier in the day) and had stable ground for the telescopes. Besides, we had kids with us so it's quite dangerous to trek in the dark.

If everyone's adventurous enough and we're sufficiently equipped with lanterns/torches, we could venture into darker places at the same location next time.

I suggested this place cos it is sufficiently secure and we do not need to fear that we may be pounced upon by robbers. It's M'sia, not S'pore so we need to take such precautions.
Lily

Post by Lily »

nice group photo! Everyone looks so extremely happy (especially Lily)!
Didn't realize I was so happy until I saw the photos :D . How can a woman not happy if she got some sapphires and diamonds :wink: !

Thanks Richard for the name of the double star. They were beautiful - 1 bigger yellow star and 1 smaller blue star in the night sky - Like a pair of sapphires. And Vega is like a diamond.

For the benefit of beginners like myself, here's an excerpt on Albireo -

Albireo (and IC1296): Albireo is a double star (meaning two stars gravitationally bound to each other) seen in the sky as the foot of the Northern Cross; also it is the head of Cygnus the swan. It is also known as Beta Cygni, as the second brightest star in Cygnus. Visually, it is a breathtaking sight, and can be seen in all its glory with binoculars, which clearly split the pair, showing Beta 1 as a magnitude 3.1 yellow star, and Beta 2 as a magnitude 5.1 blue star. The two are separated by about 35 arcseconds, and the stars are some 400 light-years away from us. Albireo is a delightful summer and early fall sight in the northern hemisphere.

Regards,
Lily
astrobabe

Post by astrobabe »

Thanks Lily for the info on Albireo. Isn't it great we learn something new everyday? :)
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

astrobabe wrote: There were darker sites but I had to locate a site which wasn't muddy
(cos of the rain earlier in the day) and had stable ground for the telescopes. Besides, we had kids with us so it's quite dangerous to trek in the dark.

If everyone's adventurous enough and we're sufficiently equipped with lanterns/torches, we could venture into darker places at the same location next time.

I suggested this place cos it is sufficiently secure and we do not need to fear that we may be pounced upon by robbers. It's M'sia, not S'pore so we need to take such precautions.
Good consideration..! Interest is one thing but safety is always more important. And of course, I hate muddy grounds too!
If this place is almost as dark as Mersing and nearer by car, I think its worth a second look. Any map to show where exactly this place is?
Anyone has the coordinates?

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Lily wrote: Thanks Richard for the name of the double star. They were beautiful - 1 bigger yellow star and 1 smaller blue star in the night sky - Like a pair of sapphires. And Vega is like a diamond.
Regards,
Lily
This double used to be a hot favourite with early Singastrons. I remember Gavin (he seemed to have disappeared again!) pointing it out to me and I was thrilled by the 2 colours. But somehow down the years, interest in it waned.
Thanks for rekindling it , Lily.

:D

rich
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

chrisyeo wrote:HI.

Decided to put up the smaller versions of the group photo for those who don't want to download the zip file:

A:
http://www.singastro.org/album_showpage ... pic_id=550

B:
http://www.singastro.org/album_showpage ... pic_id=551
Hi Chris
How about putting names to the photo so we know who the "new" star trekkers are... :wink:
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
The group photo look nice... care to point out who is who?? I know a few of them, but some cannot remember their names... sorry :oops: :oops: ... always see them in the dark and I'm very bad at remember names... :oops: :oops:

Have a nice day.

PS: Coolest man award goes to... Ian!!
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Clifford60

Next Star Gazing Session

Post by Clifford60 »

Try my best, based on pict A, the newbies are 2 on the left and 3 on the right.
Back row : KC(Lily's husband), Jenny Tan (timpani), Chris, Richard, Colin, Roland, Weixiong, Ian's other half, Ian, Yvon(astrobabe), me
Front row : Jiayuan, Carole, Hoyan (Lily's daughter), Wenbin (my son), Lily with her son (Junwei).

Hopefully I get everyone correctly.

Thxs Jiayuan.
Last edited by Clifford60 on Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
astrobabe

Re: Next Star Gazing Session

Post by astrobabe »

Clifford60 wrote:Hopefully I get everyone correctly.
You're right, Clifford. Kudos on your good memory. :)
...clouds, please go away, let me see the stars today...