Trial run: Toa Payoh Observation Group now (re)open!

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Yea! lol. while walking towards the park from the ex-Girls' home yesterday, my brother was also commenting about the roof of a tall flat. But i fear that when it fully opens to the public eventually as an RC activity, if it ever does, then people might use the place to erm, you know what, due to its height off the ground.

Who joins me next saturday? My 3rd try at central observing, first was cloudy but with jupiter and the moon, 2nd didn't see anything but M0(ie clouds).. hope the 3rd try succeeds in bagging some deep sky objects!
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Count me in, TP Park 8-10pm? Note: Own no scope yet
zong
Administrator

Post by zong »

Below is the link to the Street Directory website that shows the way to Toa Payoh Park. The star is roughly where I will be observing. Detailed instructions are found in my next post of this thread.

Street Directory Map Link
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by zong on Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stargazing ... is an excuse to stay up past bedtime that never fails!
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

is that from google earth?
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

yes
zong
Administrator

Post by zong »

yup google earth. Er okay since the streeet directory map was removed, i can only explain thru words, with the above picture..

there are 3 places where you can find a carpark. clockwise from the topmost. the topmost entrance is somewhere along the road from library towards the church at Lorong 2. The entrance is very big and you won't miss it. Accessing the same carpark is another route, the one to the right of the ob area. It's an entrance from Lorong 6 Toa Payoh, along the road from the stadium to the swimming pool and beyond a little bit. On the way you will see that the old toa payoh park is now closed for "renovation", why they want to 'renovate' a park is still unknown to me, i like the old park alot. The entrance is also quite obvious.

The carpark to the left of the ob area is a hdb flat carpark. to reach it, continue along Lorong 6 road to Lorong 1, across the cross junction after the Park. Turn in left after Block 158, and then before you reach the condo (Trellis Towers), turn left, and straight on. You will see Blk 160 and 161 to your left, and then you will see Blk 161A that is the carkpark. After that, walk in the direction of the park, across BLk 159 that is perpendicular to both blocks 160 and 161, then to the cross junction and across the road to the park. The ob area is slightly more inwards from the cross junction due to light pollution in the area, but once you reach anywhere in the area you can call me and i should be able to direct you to the park and the ob site.
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Hi zongyao,

As a clarification, I wrote to streetdirectory.com and they said that it is ok for forum users to post links. Just don't post screen-captured pictures of the maps.

So, go ahead and supplement your description with a deeplink. Sorry for the trouble.

Btw, the HDB hub carpark is underground and covers the whole bus interchange area, so the top circle is slightly inaccurate and can be nearer. Will try to join you all for ob this Saturday!

Cheers,
Chris
zong
Administrator

Post by zong »

Thanks Chris! I'll edit the above post to make it clearer.
Clifford60

Trial run: Toa Payoh Observation Group now (re)open!

Post by Clifford60 »

Park at HDB hub carpark is the cheapest as it is per entry after 5 or 6.00pm. Other carparks you may need to worry about the carpark aunties who are very on the ball nowadays.

Fm West, eg Jurong, follow black arrows to the entrance at HDB hub building. Fm East, eg Bedok, follow brown arrow to the entrance next to TP Park. Then find 1 of the 4 lifts from the carpark to level 1 and follow the blue arrows to the ob site. The overhead bridge is next to Popular Book at Level 2.

If you travel by bus or MRT, just find the way to Popular Book.

Hope this help :)
zong
Administrator

Post by zong »

Weixing's ob might be cancelled, but i'll still be there. As i see it, there are clouds, but not total coverage, so still can see a little here and there. But if the sky really not good when i reach, i might end it a little earlier, that's all. Not earlier than 9pm though.