Trial run: Toa Payoh Observation Group now (re)open!

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
rlow

Post by rlow »

Zong, you should also try to invite Clement to join your group for obbing. He stays near you, drives, and he has VERY nice equipment. :)
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Oh! Great!

Well i was about to post my next ob run, which is this saturday. I'm sorry but after being in here so long i still can't link names and nicks online ^^;; so who's Clement?

Anyway i am quite busy this week with some work in camp to do, and i can't come online until saturday afternoon, so i'd better not put it at the Girls' Home yet. Perhaps Clifford60 can share the map of where it is here, and i'll organise the ob recce next week there.

So this week, my ob will still stand at the Toa Payoh Park. Sorry i gotta book in soon, so i can't post a picture of the area here now, i will do that on saturday morning. Those who are interested pls check here again! The time will be from 8-10pm, hopefully to catch a dark south sky to see the teapot.

Cya'll guys on saturday :)
Last edited by zong on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lily

Post by Lily »

Well i was about to post my next ob run, which is this saturday.
Nice to hear abt the obs group. I stay near Toa Payoh. Hope to join you in next session (going to Gelang Patah this Sat).
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Removed
Last edited by Clifford60 on Sun May 06, 2007 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zong
Administrator

Post by zong »

Hm.. i actually had a chance to come home tonight! So the first thing i did is to come into singastro and see.

Hmm.. i know where this place is. But i think it is too unaccessible for those without a car.. because the road into the place is quite long.. Nevertheless, i remember it as a high ground without much lights. Okay, i'll change my recce destination this saturday to the mini-area beside this ex-Girls' Home!

Interested people can call me, i'll still be there even if the clouds are up, so don't worry you definitely get to meet someone. Time is still 8-10pm. I think in this case, the nearest MRT station is bradell, not Toa Payoh anymore. If you're coming by MRT, please don't stop at the wrong station...
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

In fact, either station is not an issue if u take the feeder bus # 231. At Toa Payoh MRT , you need to check out the correct colour plate, green goes one direction and white goes the other. Check for the one that goes Lorong 1 first. Alight opp the Blk 128A carpark then walk up Toa Payoh Rise.. If u are at Braddell MRT, take the bus just outside the Yellow Pages Building along Lorong 1. If you decided to walk instead of taking the bus, then Braddell MRT is nearer.
zong
Administrator

Post by zong »

i just came back from a recce of that place. it's too dangerous due to the construction vehicles going to and from the construction site, plus there is too much obstruction. It is not a good ob site now...

However, there is a patch of land where previously (a few years ago) a few hdb flats stood. In the map it's to the right of the ex-Girls' home. it's now just flat land, and grass. Some areas the grass grows to above 10cm! I brought my younger brother along who, unfortunately, wore slippers, and so we had to tread very carefully around the area.

However, that site is also not very good.. To the north is a LOT of light pollution... :( From the carpark blk 128a, from nearby flats, etc. To the south, if standing at the middle of the patch of land, is 45deg of tree blockage, then clear all the way. As you walk towards the main road facing south, the light pollution gets worse, but you'll see more of the South sky, best is 20deg.

Overall though, i rate that place 1.5/5 because it's dangerous and hard to get to the patch of land, and is overall still quite light polluted, and i must say actually only slightly better than the park, which does not offset its danger.

I will continue future obs at the park. I've also recced a few places where drivers can park and walk about 5-10mins to reach the place in the park where we can all ob happily without danger ^^
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Well, may be some better place. Last night chrisyeo was mentioning that Dempsey Rd is a good site. Not very far and can get more central area guys to meet. Only problem is that transport is only bus and a few for those don't drive, but then pick up can always be arranged.
zong
Administrator

Post by zong »

Clifford, Dempsey used to be the place for CSN activation (Clear Skies Network). It's a group we used in the past, one person sees clear skies and gets the main man (was it chee chien? I forgot..) to sms everyone else. Then all who gets the sms will gather at dempsey. I only ever got "activated" once before, it was great, but seriously without driving it's very inaccessible.. The only bus that i know passes through that area is 105, and the last bus is slightly before midnight, so non-drivers can't stay late.

Talking about CSN, is it still ongoing?! lol.. like don't know how long no news already... (oops, is this off-topic?)

the purpose of the Toa payoh ob group is not to do super serious obbing. I hope that by having an ob group somewhere accessible, more people who do not know about this hobby can learn about it, and hopefully, get inspired to join us and learn more about astronomy. So accessibility is higher in my list that very very very dark skies, all i need is just dark (enough) skies to see things like m22, m41, orion nebula etc.

I was having dreams also that if this ob group in the park can get big enough, i can petition to the MP to switch off the lights say, for 2 hours every saturday, so we get even better views of the sky! (okay, the stupid hdb hub lights are very glaring too and they can't be off i think, but at least the park is dark :lol:)
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

If we can form a proper group, link to the RC and become part of their activities, then may be can petition to the MP to allow access to some of the high block roof top which will have less street light and min surrounding building light. They may have to build high fence to protect the group.

Well, we need to start something, so go for the park first.