Mersing Trip 23th Sep. 2006 Registration (Clouded out...)

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
jiahao1986

Post by jiahao1986 »

Here are the two charts for searching globulars in M31

Note: For G76 and G280, you simply need M32 and two adjacent bright stars to locate them. Whether you can see it should highly dependent on your scope and sky condition.

Note: Possibly my method to locate G1. First find 32 Andromedae, which is a naked eye target. Put it in a low-power wide angle eyepiece, you should see a triangle as the chart shows, follow the arrows, look for patterns in the chart, then you will sure have G1 in the filed. Switch to high power to look for the non-stellar one.
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

G1 is going to be hard to spot because it is magnitude 13. I have seen magnitude 10 globulars with my C5 but it is near to its light gathering power. Magnitude 13 would be much much dimmer than a magnitude 10 globular. Perhaps if the transparency is very good, it can be seen but I think it will still be a real dim fuzzy ball on a 5 inch scope. It will be a challenge. :)
AstroDuck
jermng

Post by jermng »

Everything is a challenge in a 5" scope once you have a 12.5" ... :)

HAHA
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Orion SVP Intelliscope, AstroSlew I
Minolta Activa 12x50WA
jermng

Post by jermng »

jiahao1986 wrote:Here I made a brief observing plan for myself, from constellation to constellation, mostly deep sky objects.
Thanks JiaHao! Your list is really comprehensive. :)

Maybe you want to post this in a thread I started about "night sky delights." :) I'm trying to compile some observing lists. It'll be interesting to see what everyone else has on their list. :)

And this thread is getting really long .. Such a good list will get lost in here. :) hee hee ...

Just my 2c.

Cheers!
Jeremy Ng
C8, CR-150HD, TMB 80 f/6
Orion SVP Intelliscope, AstroSlew I
Minolta Activa 12x50WA
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Hi Jiahao,

That's a really great observation list you got there! Hope you have good weather and will be able to complete your list.

Pluto is mag 13 so I'm not sure if you'll be able to find it. Even if you see it, you might not be sure that it's the one. I've yet to see it myself. Anyway, find Xi Serpentis in Serpens Cauda, and Pluto should be nearby. North is up.

Clear skies!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aquillae

Post by aquillae »

Nice list, Jiahao.

Have fun guys ! wish i could join you guys :)
jeff
astro-cubicle :: www.astrojeff.com
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Nice target list. It is very comprehensive. I am usually lazy and I don't prepare any target lists; only start thinking of what to see when I am at the observing site. Nice to see one doing that. Hope good weather to you guys. :)
AstroDuck
coolgeek84

Post by coolgeek84 »

Canopus Lim wrote:Nice target list. It is very comprehensive. I am usually lazy and I don't prepare any target lists; only start thinking of what to see when I am at the observing site. Nice to see one doing that. Hope good weather to you guys. :)
Haha, same here. Usually I will just see which constellations can be seen during the observation then just try to find DSOs from my pda.. But yeah I am sure that we can learn a lot more if we do as much research as Jiahao :)
Arjun
Comp Eng
NTU
jiahao1986

Post by jiahao1986 »

rlow wrote:Lastest update:

1. Anna
2. Arjun
3. Tan Kuan Khoon
4. Jia Hao (ETX-125)
5. Richard (M210)
6. Ian (bananas)
7. Clement (C8)
8. Elton (bananas)
9. Arief (10" Truss-Newt)
10. ?

At the last Mersing trip, the foreigner passport-holders took more than 2-3 hours to clear the Malaysian customs; in the end, we only reach the ob site at 10pm! In view of that, on behalf of the rest, I would like to suggest to Arief, Jiahao and Arjun to share a taxi to clear through the Customs faster, then board the minivan after the Malaysian customs.
Richard, can you explain more about we three sharing a taxi? Do you mean that we three leave earlier taking a taxi? If so, it is OK with me, so just arrange a time we three meet somewhere.
rlow

Post by rlow »

Good ob list, Jiahao, though some of the fainter and low contrast objects will require skies with the clearest transparencies to be visible through the bigger scopes.

I was suggesting that 3 of you can take a taxi at the same time and if there is no jam, the taxi should clear thru very fast; you do not have to disembark and join the queue for people passing thru from the buses. If anyone have any other suggestion, pls let us know.