Republic Polytechnic Mid Autumn Festival celebration

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
Jin Peng

Republic Polytechnic Mid Autumn Festival celebration

Post by Jin Peng »

Hi astronomers,

There would be a Mid Autumn festival celebration on 6th Oct at republic polytechnic campus (woodlands) jointly organised by our astronomy club with the school.

We would like to invite astronomers with telescope to come down to Republic Polytechnic Campus at woodlands for a moon observation from 7pm - 10pm. To allow the students to view through the telescope and view the moon and others deep sky objects as well!

There will be Moon cake, pomelo and chinese tea serve for refreshment.

Interested astronomers please reply by Friday 22nd September 2006.

Regards,
Kwan Jin Peng
RPASTRO Organizing Committee AY06'07
hansgalaxy

Post by hansgalaxy »

free moon cakes?? :shock: lol :D
carlogambino

Post by carlogambino »

Hi, ill ask njc astro club if their interested :)
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Anyone willing to give a simple sharing/lecture on chinese mythology? I would really love to find out more. Alvin or Weixing perhaps?

Jinpeng, is this open to other Singastroians?

Rgds,
Chris
rlow

Post by rlow »

Ok, I will bring C5+. :)
astrobabe

Post by astrobabe »

Would love to attend this event but I've got a wedding dinner to attend. :(
...clouds, please go away, let me see the stars today...
Jin Peng

Post by Jin Peng »

Hi Chris,

Yup, this is open to all Singastroians for a Moon gazing observation over at RP campus. But interested Singastroians must let me know in advance so I can inform the authority to allow you in.

Of course...not forget abour the moon cakes...

remember your wives too! (your telescope)

Jin Peng~
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Hi Jin Peng, I'm very interested, but i can only join you guys if i get leave on that day, and i can't confirm my leave until next thursday. is it okay if i give you a reply by sms next thursday? Thanks.

If i have no leave on that day and i still go, most probably i'll be reaching around 8pm, not yet had dinner, and without my scope..
Stargazing ... is an excuse to stay up past bedtime that never fails!
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Jin Peng,

How about asking someone to do a lecture on Chinese astronomy and mythology?

Anyone interested?

Cheers,
Chris
p.s. should be able to make it with my telescope.
astrobabe

Post by astrobabe »

Some titbits from this site:

According to a famous Chinese legend, there were ten suns hanging on the sky. The suns scorched the earth so much that people could not farm. There was nothing to eat. A young man named "Hou Yi" was strong and powerful. He was a very good shooter. He wanted to help people and save their lives. So he shot down nine of the suns with his magic bow and arrow.

From then on, people could live in peace and happiness. Hou Yi became famous and honorable for what he did. He married a beautiful girl, whose name is Chang O. Hou Yi was a good husband. He loved his wife very much. He wanted to live with his wife forever. So, he hoped to find the herb of immortality.

One day, Hou Yi went to visit the Western Goddess. He told her what he wanted. The Western Goddess was very touched by Hou Yi. She decided to give him the herb of immortality. However, the herb was only good to make one person immortal. Hou Yi never wanted to leave his wife. So he could not decide who should take the herb, his wife or himself. Either way, one of them would have to leave the other one behind

Therefore, Hou Yi told his wife, Chang O, to put the herb away for the time being. Chang O put this magic herb in a secret place. However, a man called Bu Mo heard and saw everything. He wanted to have the herb of immortality himself. So, three days later, after Hou Yi left for hunting, Bu Mo came to visit Chang O and ask her about the immortal herb. Chang O became suspicious about Bu Mo's ntention. She put the herb into her mouth trying to protect it. But she swallowed it by mistake.

After a while, she felt her body become lighter and lighter and start to float up higher and higher all the way to the sky. She could not stop herself, because she did not want to leave her husband. However, Chang O landed on the moon and became an immortal godness.

Hou Yi could not believe what had happened; his wife had left him. Late at night, he looked into the sky and saw that the moon was extremely bright. There was a shadow on the moon, which looked like his beloved wife, Change O. this made him miss his wife even more.

According to the legend, Chang O transformed herself into brilliant moonlight. Today, couples would declare their love for each other under the full moon of this mid-autumn day. Separated lovers make wishes for their reunion.

[hr]

So romantic... :cry:
...clouds, please go away, let me see the stars today...