Orionids observation 21st Oct East Coast

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Orionids observation 21st Oct East Coast

Post by zong »

I still remember someone posted about orionids being on 19-24 Oct.

Taken from: http://skytour.homestead.com/met2006.html

Moon: New (no interference)

Best viewing windows: Friday, Saturday, and/or Sunday morning, October 20-22. 1am - 6pm local daylight time are the best hours. Other mornings in the period of October 17-25 may also be productive.

Recommended for: Anyone interested in meteors.

The Orionids are capable of producing interesting activity from October 17-25. Maximum rates seen from a dark site may reach 20-25 per hour, but sometimes there are lulls even around the traditional maximum of October 21. Any given morning session may be more or less interesting than expected. In any case, clear mornings during the activity period are always good times to look for meteors from dark sites.

The Orionids are fast meteors, perhaps a bit faint on average but capable of producing fireballs. Note that the radiant is north of Betelgeuse and not right in the middle of Orion. A minor shower called the Epsilon Geminids has a nearby radiant that can cause confusion, but usually produces only 1-2 meteors per hour. Early activity from the Taurids can produce a few nice, slow meteors from radiants farther west. Finally, 5-15 sporadic meteors are usually visible each hour from dark sites.

I would like to hold a meteor shower observing session at the East Coast Park for this event. Details:

Date: 21 October 2006, Saturday
Time: From 8pm till 6am the next morning
Place: East Coast Park, area between C4 and D1
SingastroWiki's Observation Site List

It will be overnight because the peak is somewhere after midnight. In addition, i'm extending this to all schools to join me if they can. Bring along your tents and ground sheets in case it rains! (I hope it doesn't, but i'm so *suay luck*)

I have already told my NJ astro about this, but they are now in the midst of exams and cannot yet give me a reply.

Will update SingastroWiki on this observation site and post the link here. For all newbies out there who were asking for a meteor shower ob a few weeks ago, this is your chance to be motivated to come out :)
Last edited by zong on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stargazing ... is an excuse to stay up past bedtime that never fails!
zong
Administrator

Post by zong »

Hi all, ykchia has kindly reminded me not to be too optimistic because the ZHR is not very high. But I'm still doing this anyway. I will still do leonids too, but it'll be one step at a time!

Nobody wants to watch with me....?
jiahao1986

Post by jiahao1986 »

hopefully, we NTU Astro Club is organizing a trip to East Coast to watch it.
I will inform you here once we confirm it
Clear skies please...
Jin Peng

Post by Jin Peng »

haha... our club(republic poly) had already plan to go there to:

Date: 21st – 22nd October 2006 (Saturday and Sunday)
Time: 6pm (Saturday) – 6am (Sunday)
Venue: East Coast Park (Area between Carpark C4 and D1)

We are bringing our school students, our astronomers and telescopes as well!

The more ppl, merrier will be!

Jin Peng~
zong
Administrator

Post by zong »

Yay! that's right, the more the merrier!

Good luck to our skies on that day :)
yleeyufang

Post by yleeyufang »

haha.. SP Astro would most probably be joining in too!
I wish, I wish, I wish upon a shooting star..
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Ok, Looks great. It seems that the ToaPayoh Observation group, Republic Poly, Singapore Poly, NUS and NTU will be at East Coast (carpark C4-D1) to observe the Orionids this coming Saturday night. Who knows, maybe the weather will be clear enough to catch some meteors!

Who from Singastro would like to go? I'll be there from 8.

Anyone from NJC going?
ORIONIDS (maximum October 21 [broad and irregular])
(radiant drift map from IMO)

Moon: New (no interference)

Best viewing windows: Friday, Saturday, and/or Sunday morning, October 20-22. 1am - 6pm local daylight time are the best hours. Other mornings in the period of October 17-25 may also be productive.

Recommended for: Anyone interested in meteors.

The Orionids are capable of producing interesting activity from October 17-25. Maximum rates seen from a dark site may reach 20-25 per hour, but sometimes there are lulls even around the traditional maximum of October 21. Any given morning session may be more or less interesting than expected. In any case, clear mornings during the activity period are always good times to look for meteors from dark sites.

The Orionids are fast meteors, perhaps a bit faint on average but capable of producing fireballs. Note that the radiant is north of Betelgeuse and not right in the middle of Orion. A minor shower called the Epsilon Geminids has a nearby radiant that can cause confusion, but usually produces only 1-2 meteors per hour. Early activity from the Taurids can produce a few nice, slow meteors from radiants farther west. Finally, 5-15 sporadic meteors are usually visible each hour from dark sites.

I would like to hold a meteor shower observing session at the East Coast Park for this event. Details:

Date: 21 October 2006, Saturday
Time: From 8pm till 6am the next morning
Place: East Coast Park, area between C4 and D1
SingastroWiki's Observation Site List
soulfrost

Post by soulfrost »

count me in! =D
i have a qsn though, wouldnt the haze affect it?
zong
Administrator

Post by zong »

Yes it would be bad if the haze doesn't clear well enough.. I'm thinking anything below PSI 80 would be decent enough for us to catch a few meteors (provided there are no clouds - if not PSI 0 also no use..). Let's cross our fingers and hope for the best, when 4 schools and a Singastro is going to meet together for a meteor shower session!
shifterien

Post by shifterien »

NTU is organising an observation as well.

Date: 21st – 22nd October 2006 (Saturday and Sunday)
Time: 8.30pm onwards
Venue: East Coast Park (C1 Jetty)