Visiting Malaysia in early December - advice needed

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
tpl45

Visiting Malaysia in early December - advice needed

Post by tpl45 »

Hi. My name is Terry Logan and I will be coming to Kuala Lumpur and Singapore on business in early December. I am hoping to be able to find a reasonably dark and safe location that will allow me to use my telescope. I would love to see some of the sights that stay out of my 42N
latitude reach.

Can you offer me any advice or pointers on finding such a location? Any thoughts on nightime cloud cover in early December? I'm willing to travel in-country if I can find an opportunity that is worthwhile.

Any advice you provide will be greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,
Terry
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Welcome to SingAstro!! :D :D

You can try contact universe24 via PM if you are in Kuala Lumpur... I think he live there.

Which date are you coming?? May be we can organize a Mersing trip during that period of time. :) Although it is in the raining season (haze should be gone), but someone from other side of earth may bring us some clear sky luck... really hope so... ha ha ha :P :P :P

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

Hi and welcome, Logan!

We have regular trips up Malaysia, and in Singapore too. Depending on where you live and how far you willing to travel, you can do stargazing at different places. For example, you could join me at Toa Payoh (Central Singapore) or Weixing at Tampine (East Singapore), or go to dark places like East Coast Park (East) or a cemetery (West) if you're not afraid - best is to get a person accompany you if you're going for the cemetery option.

For more information you can visit SingastroWiki at http://web.singastro.org/phpwiki/ although it's still under construction, there's lots of information about what places are nice for stargazing.

Hope to see you soon, because we don't see visitors from so far overseas very often!
Stargazing ... is an excuse to stay up past bedtime that never fails!
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

A Mersing trip would be nice!

If you want more information about the Mersing observation site, there is a page here you can look at: http://web.singastro.org/phpwiki/index.php/Mersing

Cheers,
Chris
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Hi Terry welcome to Singastro. Anytime of the year in Singapore is not really conducive for astronomy, due to our light pollution and persistent cloudy cover. December is even worse, as its our rainy season. :) Now that I have dampened your spirits, here's the good news: We do get the occasional clear nights here, and the beautiful southern constellations do help to cheer things up a bit. I would recommend Siloso or Palawan Beach on Sentosa for the best views of the southern skies, but nothing here can compare to the dark skies in Malaysia. BTW, do let us know when you are in Singapore; we can perhaps hold an observation session then.
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
astrobabe

Post by astrobabe »

If u'r keen to visit Johor AND have a nice seafood dinner by the coast near a secluded kampong area, we could organize a trip there. There's less light pollution there.
...clouds, please go away, let me see the stars today...
tpl45

Post by tpl45 »

Thanks all for your replies thus far and pointers to Mersing and other resources. I'll be in Singapore on Monday, December 11, and have some leeway as to how long I stay. Also, I am considering going up to Langkawi over that weekend (8-10) directly from Kuala Lumpur - does anyone have any experience with that location?

Thanks again,
Terry
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

tpl45 wrote: Also, I am considering going up to Langkawi over that weekend (8-10) directly from Kuala Lumpur - does anyone have any experience with that location?
Comparing Langkawi, Bali and Phuket, Langkawi is relatively polluted and boring. I would recommend Phuket on the west coast of Thailand instead. Friendly locals, great food and many nice and scenic beaches... Lots of daily flights are available from Singapore, and probably from KL as well.
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

Comparing Langkawi, Bali and Phuket, Langkawi is relatively polluted and boring. I would recommend Phuket on the west coast of Thailand instead
Bali is easily THE best place for southern skies (the only place actually located in the southern hemisphere from the above list). It is also FREE of haze :-) (somehow the wind from the forest fire never blows towards the south)
universe24

Re: Visiting Malaysia in early December - advice needed

Post by universe24 »

tpl45 wrote:Hi. My name is Terry Logan and I will be coming to Kuala Lumpur and Singapore on business in early December. I am hoping to be able to find a reasonably dark and safe location that will allow me to use my telescope. I would love to see some of the sights that stay out of my 42N
latitude reach.

Can you offer me any advice or pointers on finding such a location? Any thoughts on nightime cloud cover in early December? I'm willing to travel in-country if I can find an opportunity that is worthwhile.

Any advice you provide will be greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,
Terry
Hi Terry,

Please feel free to contact me during your stay in Kuala Lumpur. I live in Kuala Lumpur.
If weather is clear, I can bring you to some observation side which only 60-90 minutes drive from KL city.
Please check your PM for my contact number. Thank you.