Transits of Mercury

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

you mentioned composite... since you have mct, did you mean a mosaic? or a composite of two images at different focus?
jiahao1986

Post by jiahao1986 »

kingkong wrote:you mentioned composite... since you have mct, did you mean a mosaic? or a composite of two images at different focus?
sorry about language here, I'm not quite sure about which word to use. It's just that I can't shoot the whole sun in one picture, so I combine two pictures at the same focus using Photoshop.
Clear skies please...
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

no problem. just wanted to clarify. afaik, you didn't use the wrong word.
zong
Administrator
Favourite scope: 1x7 binoculars (my eyes)

Post by zong »

sigh.. i just confirmed that i made a BIG BIG mistake ><

I called Lily up and showed her the sun before she had to bring her son to school. I mistook the sunspot for Mercury... -__-

The real mercury only appeared on my scope's projection after she left. I think i made her happy for nothing :( and all the while i was looking at the sunspot.. By around 8:10, i was thinking, it's contact! Why is it still not moving? And after Contact 4 then I realised the "sunspot" was Mercury, and the "Mercury" is a sunspot.. By which time Mercury is gone, anyway.. ARGH.

Big laughing joke. Made myself and Lily happy for nothing :(

Took a few pictures with my brother's hp phone anyway, will see if any of them is worth posting ^^ It's amazing, because with even the HP phone on projection, Mercury is still a *little* visible, and the sunspots are definitely caught in the picture.
Stargazing ... is an excuse to stay up past bedtime that never fails!
Robin Lee

Post by Robin Lee »

Haha, I observed this through the online webcast. It's not that interesting but it's nice to hear the "DJ" to tell you some knowledge about the transit. Anyway, it seems like the sunspot is even more attracting. Any other feature observed through H-alpha filtered scope?

Jiahao, nice photo indeed. What are you studying in NTU? I wonder if a football went into the direction of your scope. :lol:
Clear skies,
Robin.

Cyclops Optics - QHYCCD, William Optics, Televue, STC & Optolong filters
Free shipping for purchases above SG$250
jiahao1986

Post by jiahao1986 »

Kim Miau wrote: Jiahao, nice photo indeed. What are you studying in NTU? I wonder if a football went into the direction of your scope. :lol:
Electrical and Electronic Engineering. In college, nobody will get up that early to play soccer. :mrgreen:
Clear skies please...
ravi0001

Post by ravi0001 »

Hi the sunspot and mercury is impressive:)
good shot pal.
Lily

Post by Lily »

I mistook the sunspot for Mercury... -__-
We had a good laugh when Zong informed me about the mistakes. :lol:

Thanks for inviting us Zong. My son got up without throwing tantrum knowing that we were going to see mercury transit. He is still happy about the whole thing. Put it this way, we still have a chance when it happens again in 10 years (?) time :).

Lily
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

Anyway, Lily, in another 5 years, your son would not be able to tell if it was the sunspot or mercury shadow that he saw! :)
[80% Steve, 20% Alfred] ------- Probability of Clear Skies = (Age of newest equipment in days) / [(Number of observers) * (Total Aperture of all telescopes present in mm)]
kingkong

Post by kingkong »

in 5/6 years we can all look at venus transit again. that one you can't go wrong... ;-)