Geminids Observation

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
soulfrost

Post by soulfrost »

rain rain! =D wonder if its gonna rain tonight... dont wanna miss this one man!
rlow

Post by rlow »

Drats...! its still raining here downtown. I should not have mentioned about this 'new' scope curse... :oops:
soulfrost

Post by soulfrost »

gee. it stopped raining here , but cant seem to get anything goood outta it ><
rlow

Post by rlow »

Sorry, but I have confirmed with Ian that we are not going tonight. See how tomorrow night.... :)
ian0138

Post by ian0138 »

Now that the 11incher is out of the way, see if this will lift the curse or not .... :) :) :)
might still able to make it if the sky suddenly clear in the next half hour.... :D :D :D
rlow

Post by rlow »

Haha! All the best then! It still looks very cloudy here from my office window! :)
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
The east side here was party cloudy earlier... still can see some stars, but was also raining at the same time... the power of 11 incher... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Anyway, seem like the rain had stop and sky start to clearing up... STOP... rlow don't even think of the 11incher!!! ha ha ha :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
rlow

Post by rlow »

Ok, the 11 incher stays at home tonight! Anyway, I am still stuck in the office.... Please go out and enjoy yourselves...Haha! :)
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

Fortunately, the skies cleared up at around 8.30pm today, after being almost completely clouded up from around noon to sundown.

I did not go to Changi, but looked out for the Geminids from my windows and balcony right in the middle of town.

I spent a total of about 1 1/2 hours staring at the sky.

During a continuous staring session at the Orion-Canis Major-Canopus region of the sky (when I did not spend longer than 5 seconds at any one time not looking... poor stiff neck and poor heavy eyes), from about 9.50pm to 11.05pm, I was happy to spot 3 meteors, which I am quite sure are Geminids!

Details:
10:12pm. A very short meteor of about 5 degrees length. Pronounced greenish colour. About as bright as Rigel (i.e. mag 0). Went right below (east) of M42 in Orion, in the direction of Betelguese to the area between the two foot stars of Orion (Rigel and Saiph).

10.38pm. A longer meteor of about 10 degrees length. Slight greenish hue. Also about as bright as Rigel. Travelled the area and direction between the hind foot stars of Canis Major to Canopus.

10.44pm. An even longer meteor about 15 degrees length. White with a bluish tint. About half as bright as the other two, i.e. around mag 1 or 2. Travelled the area of the front foot star of Canis Major to the area above (west) of Canopus.

I think all of them had radiants traceable back to the Gemini area. From my perspective, they were about 40 degrees above the horizon, moving left to right and about parallel to the horizon, with a slight upwards tilt.

None of them had trains (tails), but were rather just moving points of light.

I must say that usually, I have had atrocious luck with meteors. What Leonid storm was there?? No such thing. However, am quite happy to have seen 3 Geminids tonight!
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

I saw from 11.30 pm onwards and observed for 1h10min from my house .

I saw 13 meteors! Which is the most number of meteors I saw in Singapore in that span of time. That is average about 5.3 min each. :) :)
The sky cleared up after 11.30 pm and the meteors were very bright. Some of them were almost as bright or brighter than Sirius. A few of them I could see them brighten up and decreased in brightness than disappeared. Those looked like nice tear drops. Most of them were very fast and bright and traveled long across the zenith; managed to pentrate through the cloud cover too. All of them radiant from Gemini.

Hopefully tonight is clear. Hope to see as many or more than what I saw last night.
AstroDuck