Saturn Observation at Dempsey 14 Feb 07

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
rlow

Saturn Observation at Dempsey 14 Feb 07

Post by rlow »

Last night on 14 Feb 07, the night sky was exceptionally clear and stable, so I set up my equipment at Dempsey for a Saturn observation session. Many people came up to view Saturn and all but two had never seen Saturn through a scope before, so they were very amazed at the sight. 99% of the people are young couples, I was the 1% :) . In all, about 30 plus couples saw Saturn from 8.30pm to midnight. About 80% of the people ask if this was real, some thought it was a sticker or photograph. One guy told me to 'change the slide' while his girlfriend was viewing through the scope. :D

We were viewing Saturn at 345x using a 7mmXW (sharp high-contrast image seen with very slight light scattering but no diffraction spikes) on the Mewlon 210 on the Sphinx mount. Sky transparency was at 8/10, seeing was 7-8/10, scope collimation was at 98% on-axis. Saturn's South Polar region, South Equatorial Belt (plus others), Rings A,B,C, Cassini Division, Encke Minima, and 5 moons were distinct and clearly observed. Attempted but not seen were the Equatorial Band, Ring B 'spokes' Encke Division, and Keeler's Gap.
Richard Low
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Its always fun to watch the reaction of those who are looking at Saturn for the first time 8)
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

yes...saturn never fails to amaze ..except in afew years time when its rings are "invisible". and wow...30 couples there?? you must have tapped the valentine day crowd. usually on a "busy" night, its just us astronomers, a few couples looking for a rubber-necking spot, the odd police patrol car and mosquitoes!
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

Yup Saturn is one of the nicest thing to see and the favourites for newcomers. They won't be disappointed with it! :)
AstroDuck
aquillae

Post by aquillae »

Saturn was the first object I saw through a real telescope, it was really amazing despite the low power and I still remember how happy I was.

Nice Valentine's day gift for those couples :)
jeff
astro-cubicle :: www.astrojeff.com
jennifer1611991

Post by jennifer1611991 »

I remember the first time i saw saturn through the science centre's observatory.. it was love at first (and second) sight:):)