What are the stars which are availiable in the sky?

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
IceAngel
Favourite scope: Sky 90

What are the stars which are availiable in the sky?

Post by IceAngel »

i know singapore is near to the equator.. and every places have their own range of stars tat is availiable.. but i duno wat range of stars that we can see in Singapore
VinSnr
Administrator

Re: What are the stars which are availiable in the sky?

Post by VinSnr »

IceAngel wrote:i know singapore is near to the equator.. and every places have their own range of stars tat is availiable.. but i duno wat range of stars that we can see in Singapore
we can actually see everything (which is a good thing for people staying at the equator) but only half of them at a time.
IceAngel
Favourite scope: Sky 90

Post by IceAngel »

oh.. we can see everything??
tat's good.. hehe.. thanks~
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

Of course, its weather permitted. =p

Normally, we can see stars up to mag. of 4-6 on very good seeing.
For now we are able to see the constellations from Lyra to Orion region.

Charlie
alex

Post by alex »

i dun think we can see the north star.
or can we?
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

You may could....if you go high up and theres no obstruction or light pollution to North. Ask Vincent in his rooftop expeditions!

Charlie
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
The North Star should be around 1 degree above horizon in Singapore. You may be possible to see it by going to a very high building, weather must be excellent and hope that there is no building blocking the star.

Basically, to see North Star in Singapore (if possible), you must be VERY LUCKY!!!! :D

Anyway, I remember someone in SingAstro reported that he had seen the North Star in Singapore.... forget who already.... :?:
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

Vincent Snr lor~

But i may be able to do so too soon...once i'm done prying the rooftop access door open.. opps...wasnt suppose to say it here...=p

Charlie
cinq

Post by cinq »

The North Star is 1+ deg above the horizon but probably the biggest obstacle is being able to find an unobstructed horizon.

Cindy
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

Hi IceAngel (also another easterner?),
I think what the others have mentioned that they are able to see everything, is mostly (almost) 88 constellations except for the circumpolar ones. The North Star has been reportedly seen from Malaysia at about 2.5degrees of latitude under good and unobstructed northern horizons.
Ray